Dueling Velodyne Subs (HGS15 vs DD12)

Youthman

• Moderators

I was able to get a similar frequency response as they show in the images so I guess I did it right. The second screen I didn't really mess with any settings. I'll play with it some more and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Youthman,

She's perty. I have a DD-15 gloss black and LOVE IT! Came with the remote and microphone. I printed the user manual off the velodyne website so I could tweak the built in EQ to fill 'holes, crossover slopes (db), and phase settings for room correction. I first purchased the Velodyne Optimum 12" for $1100 after being disatisfied with my Klipsch sub-12 with music playback. Though the sound was tight, the 12" just didn't seem to fill the room very well, and even at mid-high volumes did not have the sonic punch in movies as the Sub-12, yet was markedly better with music. After a month I found a DD-15 on craigslist and negotiated asking price from $1500 down to $930. I then tested the two subs one at a time and the difference was immediate. The DD doug deeper and with ease at lower volume settings than the Optimum (28 vs 52 out of 99!). Perhaps some of this difference was due to the physics of a much larger woofer moving more air. I'm thinking the DD-12 may be a little tighter than the optima due to the servo, but am thinking that you will probably notice it has to work harder than your HGS15 to achieve similar volumes during movie playback. BTW, I use a monster LFE cable from my Onkyo to the red LFE input jack on the far lower right of the back wall of sub. I tried a Y cable and didn't notice any difference, so stuck with the one LFE cable and returned the Y as it wasn't needed. The SMS-1 is really cool and worth spending the time to get to know the video display and many settings. I have my sub on the left side of my entertainment system for Wife=factor reasons and only a few inches from the wall. With SMS-1 I was able to achieve settings that allow the sub to sonically disappear from the room. In addtion, I muted the sub and used the SMS-1 to deliver the test sounds through my front RF-3 II's. I discovered that my front speakers don't fall off until 29 hz at the 76DB recommended volume test settings ! Klipsch rates the RF3-II speakers 37-20kHz and mine actually dipped much lower. Of course this could be due to speaker placement and other room dynamics. My Martin Logan Prefaces fell off at 33hz which was still better than the rated 35-20kHz. A nice tool to verify bottom end of all your speakers. Perhaps try this on HGS-15 to see response down to 15hz? BTW, I found it easier to use the DD remote for calibrating and the harmony one for quick Jazz/Pop/Movie/etc.. setting for when I switch from watching movies to listening to music. I don't need to ever adjust the DD volume as I've already synced up with my Onkyo Audyssy. In the DD SMS-1 settings I lower the servo setting to 3 and bump up the db's a few points to 33 for explosions and for music I increase the servo to 8 and volume down to 31 for muscial accuracy. I also set the 'action' setting to really loosen up the servo down to 1 (of 8) and jack up the volume to 36. On the harmony one I simply choose the 'Velodyne' device and choose the action setting for immediate dramatic affects to shake the walls and give unsuspecting guests a chair massage!

I haven't heard the dd-12, just the optimus 12. I did hear the DD-10 demoied at an audio store and it wasn't even close to the DD-15 and just shy of output from the optimum 12.

Enjoy the new toy and let us know if you decide to keep it!

I am very interested in the HGS-15 for my second room and have found one on craigslist locally for $500 and I may jump on it.

• Moderators

Thx Copper. Looks like you found a heck of a deal on the DD-15. The HGS-15 has performed very well for my needs. It's been fun to play with but I've listed it on Craigslist. No need to spend extra money on the HT when I don't hear a difference between it and my HGS-15.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It's finally time to let go of this guy as he was just purchased by a fellow in NY. It was fun while it lasted and I've accumulated some additional knowledge of the Velodyne subwoofers. It performed as well as my HGS15 and has a much smaller footprint. The guy that bought it is upgrading from his HGS12.