New TV

Cal Blacksmith

Well, I know I have not been around much for a while[:$]. In truth, not much has changed with my setup and I have just been enjoying it.[:D]

Well, the old RPTV in the TV room was starting to show it's age and I have replaced the bulb twice now. I have started playing more video games and though there is nothing like playing a shoot em up on a 119 inch projection, 7.1 ch Klipsch HT, the TV in the TV room need to be upgraded.

Our TV room that had the old Sony RP, gets the most workout of any system in the house and I felt it was time for an upgrade so, over the weekend, I drove myself crazy with reasearch and popped for a 60" Sharp Aquos LED TV.

After running the my setup DVD I realized that it had been a while since I had upgraded anything. The DVD concerned mainly with CRT displays and only touched on flat screens! I did find the color filters usefull but a lot of the rest of the disc that delt with pincoushion etc, was pretty much worthless. I went to Fry's and picked up a new HD setup disc and choked on my throwup when the only one they had was put out by Monster. It was $40 so as Monster products go, it was reasonably priced. It is simple to use and not a word was said about CRT displays LOL! Between the two discs, the new set is lookin good and thanks to the Klipsch Fort'e 1s, and the Synergy center, sub and surrounds, it sounds darn nice too!

The only down side of the new disc is the advert for monster products but you can skip that as it comes at the END of the disc!

• Moderators

Nice TV. [Y]

I looked it up at BB, I was surprised at the price, they have come down alot since I had last checked a few year ago.

That's a better price than the 50" last time I checked, bet it looks good.

Hey Wayne! Sounds like a sweet setup. We got a 50 inch Panasonic plasma January 2010, it's great when the wife is not watching soap operas or the Hallmark channel, or John and Kate plus 8, or.......well, you get the idea. The flat screens are great for movies, you'll need a Blu Ray player now if you don't already have one....then a new receiver with all the high def sound features........there is no end to this!!

Enjoy -

Thanks, yes the price has come down A LOT! We bought it at Sams Club for $1897 and with the 90 day return policy, it was a safe gamble. It was a hard choice to go 3D or not but in the end, I just could not see spending another $300 for that "feature" though the "better" set has a little better contrast.

Larry, the AVR I am using is indeed old but I am getting the most from it that I can! I am running everything to the TV on HDMI and then a PCM signal on a Tosslink back to the AVR as there are no HDMI inputs on the AVR. I do have BD in the form of my PS3 and the picture is AMAZING! We are also feeding it 1080i (highest possible) from the Dish box so the regular TV is no garbage either.

The set is a LC60LE832U SAMS LINK and the one I was also thinking about was the 835 which is sold at Costco for $300 more. Of course after I bought it, I found it at Frys for $100 less[:S] but that is the way it goes most times huh? LOL!

As I am mostly interested in gaming with it, lag time was very important. The 835 is touted by Sharp as their gaming system as one of it's features is the Viper system which lets the game console take over the processing of the images and bypasses the sets internal processors, thus speeding up the reaction time, lag is a real bummer when you are playing a fast moving game and there is 3/4 or so second delay between your input and the result on the screen.

I spent about an hour in CHAT sessions with two different Sharp adivsors online, and what I get from the talk was that my set is the same as the 835 except for the 3D and the contrast (8000000:1 VS 6000000:1) so eventhough the features list on the 835 lists Viper and the 832 does not, I do have it. I guess they want to sell more of the more expenisve sets?? LOL

This new set is quite a bit heavier than the older one so the glass stand I had the TV on wound up with a very noticeable sag in the middle. This made me quite nervous so I added a 3/4" wood shelve under the glass to beef it up, I feel much better now[:D] This was a temp solution that turned out to look better than I had thought it would. I may change the support later but this will work for now, eventhough the screws no longer hold the top down and only gravity is keeping the shelve on the supports. The screw caps are a special threaded plastic plug and the shelf system is no longer sold, we bought it from Lows, several years ago. I may need to go out to the shop and turn some plug/screws out of solid stock on the lathe, a project for another day though.

I bought all my new cables at Monoprice, again, you just can't beat the price/quality you get from them, everything for under $31 next day shipping included!

Well, I could be blind or less bothered but I have not seen blur or other problems. I have used it mainly for gaming so far and it is a great TV for that. After several "chats" with Sharp techs on line, the best of my understanding is that this is the same TV less the extended contrast and the 3D of their set that is supposed to be tailored for gaming. Again to the best I understand it, this set senses that it is hooked up to a game console and turns over processing to the game system (it does identify which system is on, the PS3 or the Xbox 360 and lists this on the screen) and bypasses the internal processor in the set. The result is very fast response to inputs in the game. I have not noticed any distracting issues with fast motion and a game can move pretty darn fast.

As for movies specifically, I have had no issues that have detracted from the viewing experience. As Plasmas run at 600 mhz for the most part, I would not expect any motion issues from them. Where this set is, there are issues with light and glare so a highly reflective screen is out and we need a brighter set than Plasma would provide, in both cases this LED, for us was the better choice. I really did want to stay away from the 120mhz sets and, for us, we could not be happier with the performance we get from this set.There are also an advanced motion and line smoothing programs that work well but in honesty, I don't see much of a difference with them on or off, perhaps this is due to the 240 mhz keeping up with the action.

I will be more critical in watching this set for motion artifiacts in the future and will report any if I see them.