Abused Cornwalls

I have liked Klipsch speakers since I heard some LaScalla’s years ago, but could never afford a pair. I went to a garage sale this weekend and stumbled onto a vintage stereo system that included two Cornwalls. I was able to sell the non-working Sansui 9090db receiver for five dollars more than I paid for the entire set-up so basically, the Cornwalls where free!

The Cornwalls are in pretty rough shape. No grills, no risers, the veneer is chipped and scratched, the tweeters don’t work and the centers of the woofers have been pushed in (seems cosmetic). It looks like they are from 1985 with B-3 crossover, K33-E woofers, K57-K midranges, and some MG Electronics HT500 tweeters. Besides the tweeters, everything else seems to work and they are structurally sound. The upside to their rough condition is that I have an open slate to what I do with them.

My budget is the big issue. I don’t make a lot of money and I just became a foster parent to my girlfriend’s two grandchildren, ages 4 &5. To keep cost down, I will probably put on new veneer and build some grills myself. A friend even suggested that with kids running around my house, I should just use some wood grain laminate instead of veneer.

Cosmetics aside, obviously the first concern is the tweeters. I doubt that the replaced tweeters are rebuildable, so it looks like my best (and only) option is a pair of Crites CT-125’s. Next, would be a Crites crossover rebuild. If possible, the next big jump would be converting them to a pair of Cornscala’s, but that maybe beyond my means right now.

So, keeping my budget in mind, my questions are:

1) Are there any other options for tweeters?

2) Would my B-3 crossovers work in a pair of Cornscala’s?

3) While the M2380 horns for the Cornscala’s look affordable, the Selenium D405 2 drivers are seem fairly expensive. Any other options?

Right now, it looks like the best bang for my buck would be just to install the CT-125’s and rebuild the crossovers. I would appreciate any ideas or options I haven’t come up with.

K57 is a K52 driver with a K600 horn, it was the final version of Cornwall before the new CWII came out where all speakers were mounted from the front of motorboard.

Your B3 network was optimized for use with that driver. So long as you use with that mid driver/horn/tweeter combo it'll be fine. Change any component and it's back to the drawing board (althought it'd make sound, wouldn't be ideal).

I'd

1. put K77 tweeters in there and see how you like the sound.

do nothing else for 30 days. period.

Michael

Colorado,

Welcome to The Forum!

Colter speaks from years and years of experience.

Congrats on the acquisition. I would probably choose real veneer to redo them. (You could always paint them. Generally it is frowned upon; but if done carefully; you could have some nice black Cornwalls for cheap).

The pushed in cones are cosmetic. Try a powerful vacuum to pull them out. (Usually works very well).

I defer to Colter (cuz I know he knows his stuff) with the tweeters/ crossovers.

I suggest posting a "Wanted to Buy" ad in the garage sale section of the forum or search ebay.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. Didn't find anything on Ebay except the Crites. It would be best to get some K-77-M's for my application, correct?

Tried the vacuum trick but my 6HP shop vac was unable to pop them back out. Oh well, won't be able to see them once I have some grills on.

Thanks again, Alan

Cornwall refinishing is not difficult (they are but a large "box"); others have chimed in on the tweeters, etc. I'd look for 77's first (Maybe contact hudsonvalleynoah, sometimes he has some spare parts); otherwise the CT-125's will do fine. You can also carefully wipe the pushed in dust cones with distilled water; not much but enough to make them more pliable, then try the vacuum trick.

Here are two threads that detail DIY refinishing Cornwalls and DIY'ng replacement grills

Refinishing: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

Grills: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/110684.aspx

Have fun and welcome to the Forum.

[H]

The Crites CT125 tweeters are a direct replacement for the K77's, so nothing funky would have to be changed on the crossover.

If your going to rebuild the B-3's just be sure they get crossed at about 600Hz. Some have been done at around 450-500Hz with bad results. But Bob will know this.

You may even want to try a straight pin to get the dust caps back out on the woofers. Just like you would pick at a splinter to get it out of your finger.

WOW! Sounds like my Cornwalls are not the only thing that’s been abused here! Anyway, been trying to decide which route to go with my Cornwalls. Option 1 is to part out the mids and x-overs and use that money toward a pair of Cornwalls in better shape. Option 2, which I am leaning strongly toward, is to rehab these old beauties! . It’s a tough call because after a lot research, I figure that a low budget rehab will cost between $300-$400. Remember, I’m on a tight budget.

Sonically, I’ve decided just to replace the tweeters, and if necessary, recap the x-overs. Unfortunately, the cosmetics issues are move severe. Between the beer bottle stains, cigarette burns, paint over spray, and extensive veneer damage, the only option is to “recover” the cabinets. (Due to the amount of damage, I’m thinking that these may have been used as band speakers). Painting them black is not an option because 1) these are going to end up in my living room and 2) by the time I got them into a paintable condition, I might as well re-veneer them!

So, I would like people’s opinions a couple more questions.

1) One of the less expensive mods I have read about is bracing the cabinet. Since I will have to pull out all of the drivers during the repair of the exterior, it seems like a good time to add bracing. Is it worth the effort? What type of bracing would you suggest, wood or angle iron and what size. Would it be best to do the front, back, or both? How do you get around decreasing the interior volume too much?

2) What is peoples experience with veneers? What type of veneer and glue did you use?

Sorry about the amount questions but I like to have a fairly clear understanding of what I am attempting before I start.. I have surfed this site for the last 5 days and have gotten a pretty good ideaof what I need to do but I like to ask the questions just in case I missed something. Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Alan

Glad you are thinking of restoring them.....

As for bracing; I have seen many custom builds incorporate this.

(There is a recent one who actually uses the mid horns as a brace! Quite exquisite!)

Definitely wood if you are going to do it; but I do not know that it is necessary.

(Keep in mind; the custom builds are using larger/longer/heavier horns, so they weigh more; the bracing is often used to support these).

Groomslake has excellent threads on reveneering; do a search for it; it should be easy to find.

Good Luck! Post pics! [:D]