Klipsch Subwoofers

Army Al

I have two klipsch 12 subs in my carpeted room. It was recommended by a salesperson to place a wooden board under the down firing speakers to better disperse the sound. Is that true? Carpet is ony 1/4in high.

Man Cave Office 17ft by 14ft by 8.5ft carpeted

VISIO 47in HD TV Flat Screen on the Wall

Directv HD-24 DVR with Multi Room Viewing

Samsung BD C6500 Blu Ray HD DVD Player

Onkyo TX NR609 7.2 used as a 5.2 plus Bi Amping the F3s

Klipsch Synergy C2

Klipsch Synergy F3 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy B3 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy 12in Sub (Pair)

Thearter Room 22ft by 15ft by 9ft carpeted

Samsung 67in HD TV DLP

Directv HD-34 DVR with Multi Room Viewing

Samsung BD C6500 HD DVD Player

Onkyo TX NR609 7.2

Magnaplanar I (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy S2 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy SL (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy 12in Sub

Klipsch Icon VC-25

you can certainly try that. My dad had to do that with his sub in his listening room. If you do that you may want to use some 3/4" MDF (medium density fiberborad) or a thick 3/4" piece of plywood. You basically dont want something flimsy and you dont want it to vibrate either. Plywood is good because you can stain it if you so please, MDF is just brown and well...ugly, unless you want to paint if black, then it would look ok! You also may want to put something under the plywood to bring it up off the carpet a bit so the waves can avoid the carpet height if the wood/mdf isnt tall enough to begin with. You can purchase carpet spikes too if you really wanted to make it more of a project instead of a simple solution.

My other suggestion to you is to exchange the subs if you can and get some front firing subs with front or rear ports or with side or rear passive radiators. One of the reasons why i dont like downfiring subs like you have is the problem that you are having. The most versatile sub you can buy for placement sake is a simple front firing subwoofer with the driver and or vent/port facing forward as well. By having everything facing in a single direction it allows cabinet placement, carpet placement, hardwood floor placement etc.

I hope this info helped, If you are unable to return or are financially unable to afford some of the sealed, front firing, ports or side/rear passive models, then working with what you have is your alternative.

The most versatile sub you can buy is a simple single front firing driver in a sealed enclosure, this always cabinet placement and it can really be put anywhere and sealed cabinets are typically smaller than ported.

I really didn't understand this statement, especially the "this always cabinet placement" part. If you're saying that sealed subs are more versitile as far as placement goes as opposed to other configurations then I would disagree. Ideal placement is more a product of the room and the subs interaction with the room than the type of sub used. Subs can't be put just anywhere. Well, I guess they can be, but they can't be placed just anywhere and then be considered to be in the "ideal" spot. The ideal asthetic placement spot is rarely, if ever, the ideal spot for optimal sub performance in regards to room interaction. You can take a cheap sub and place it in the correct spot in a room and can outperform (at the listening position) a sub costing many times more if it's placed in the wrong spot.

sorry, my response was garbled, i had just woken up, i vow to let my brain wake up before typing :). I did fix my response.

Sub placement in of itself is a true art. As CECAA850 said, a crappy sub in optimal placement can out perform the high dollar sub thats in a "meh" location. I was viewing placement as a 3-dimensional view of taking into consideration versatility in multiple locations. I wanted to bring to light that although a completely front firing/ported sub make easy placement in many more locations than downfiring, sidefiring, rearfiring etc it may also not be the best sub for your room. In a case of the situation we have here, downfiring may not have been the best solution but they may not necessarily be ruled out as there may be a fix.

The most versatile sub you can buy is a simple single front firing driver in a sealed enclosure, this always cabinet placement and it can really be put anywhere and sealed cabinets are typically smaller than ported.

I really didn't understand this statement, especially the "this always cabinet placement" part. If you're saying that sealed subs are more versitile as far as placement goes as opposed to other configurations then I would disagree. Ideal placement is more a product of the room and the subs interaction with the room than the type of sub used. Subs can't be put just anywhere. Well, I guess they can be, but they can't be placed just anywhere and then be considered to be in the "ideal" spot. The ideal asthetic placement spot is rarely, if ever, the ideal spot for optimal sub performance in regards to room interaction. You can take a cheap sub and place it in the correct spot in a room and can outperform (at the listening position) a sub costing many times more if it's placed in the wrong spot.

Agreed front, side, rear, and down firing subs all have the

same versatility. In fact the main reason they make subs front loaded is for cosmetic

reasons. svs for example changed from down firing to front and said the reason

they changed was people wanted to be able to see the driver, and other than

that there was no advantage. Placement is the key. As mentioned bad subs in

the right spot can outperform good subs

in bad spots. Sealed and ported do have

advantages over each other but that becomes more output and taste then placement.

Most audiophiles will tell you ported are easier to place but its pretty close.

sorry, my response was garbled, i had just woken up, i vow to let my brain wake up before typing :). I did fix my response.

Sub placement in of itself is a true art. As CECAA850 said, a crappy sub in optimal placement can out perform the high dollar sub thats in a "meh" location. I was viewing placement as a 3-dimensional view of taking into consideration versatility in multiple locations. I wanted to bring to light that although a completely front firing/ported sub make easy placement in many more locations than downfiring, sidefiring, rearfiring etc it may also not be the best sub for your room. In a case of the situation we have here, downfiring may not have been the best solution but they may not necessarily be ruled out as there may be a fix.

I would disagree and say the easiest sub to place if

anything would be a down firing sub because you can place it anywhere in any

direction.