Heresy HIP Refinishing

JohnSwenson

I'm the sound guy at our church, we had a need for some PA equipment for a small venue and one of our members donated a pair of Heresy HIP speakers. These sound wonderful but are quite beat up cosmetically. The paint on the grills is flaking off, several of the corners are bashed in and there are MANY scratches through the black paint with bare wood showing through.

These will most likely be semi permanently mounted so will not get moved around a lot.

I need to refinish these before I can use them, does anybody have any clues as to the best way to refinish them? I was thinking of sanding them and repainting with a couple coats of black paint. The current finish is sort of a "crinkle" finish, I'm not sure I can duplicate that. Any hints on what paint to use and what finish?

I was planning on adding metal corners to hide the bashed in ones. Should I do that before or after painting?

As to the grills it looks like I will need to use a small brush and just get in there and paint each individual "wire".

Any hints on how to mount them? They do not have pole mounts, it seems like they will need some sort of platform to sit on. I would prefer some way to secure them, we are in California and I do not want these heavy speakers falling off a platform in an earthquake and hitting somebody.

PS I really like these, they sound WAY better than any of our other PA speakers.

Thanks,

John S.

Easy thing is remove the drivers & crossover, sand with an orbital sander and #240 grit. Instead of metal corners, you can repair the corners; see:

The grills? Use some paint remover/ lacquer remover. Rinse with min spirits and use a brass bristled "toothbrush" or a fine wired wire brush to get at the residue.
Painting can be with "cans" of black lacquer, but I believe that lacquer in cans may not be sold in CA. You can actually roll paint on with a small 6" roller using Ace Hardware's "Sparkling Black" semi gloss, interior/ exterior trim. It will dry very evenly and will have an "eggshell" texture if you apply a second coat. Eay to clean up, lasts forever, and if done carefully is very difficult to differentiate between sprayed finish, etc.
Mounting. Drill two holes on each side and install "eye" bolts with washers and lock-nuts (the kind with nylon insert) inside the cabinet. Then use a small diamter chain or cable to attach, and adjust the angle by varying the length of the lower cable.
Hope that helps.
[H]

Thanks Groom for the pointer, that was SOME thread! I had been thinking of using wood filler or maybe even bondo on the corners, but after reading that thread, bondo it is. I had never used that glazing putty before, I'll try that on the scratches.

That was a a wonderful tutorial on veneering, I've never seen such a thorough yet concise coverage of the topic. Most of them tell you how to do it using expensive specialized tools that the average DIY type won't have at home, yours was very practical and to the point.

I just have one big problem with this refinishing project, I don't want to stop listening to them! Right now I'm rebuilding the power supply for my big tube amp (and I mean big, the pwer supply weight 90 pounds, the main amp is 70 pounds), and my main speakers and that amp were designed together as a unit, they don't work well with anything else. So these Hereseys came around at just the right time, I have something great sounding to listen to while I get the PS rebuilt.

Thanks again,

John S.

John: welcome aboard on the forum. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work. If you are interested one of our members here by the name of SET12 has a great thread at audio karma which details network upgrade work as well as discussing diaphragm upgrades. Dan (set12) is also into serious tube amps so you two might share some common interests. Have a look at Dan's thread there. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340