Add a sub or completely replace Rw-10d

Indyjeep

So about a few days ago I moved my home theater system over to the new house to test it out and see how it sounds. I am moving from a tiny two bedroom apartment to a 2000 sq ft three bedroom home. The living room at the apartment was 10x20 with open kitchen and dining room, the house has basically double the size with the same open dining room and kitchen, so 20x35. Once everything was hooked up I cranked it up and started playing with sub location. Well good news is the RF - 3s finally are able to really stand out, the bad news is no matter what location is put the sub it just didn't havevthe same impact it did at the apartment. I know it's due to room size, but here is my question. Do I keep the RW, and add a better sub or just sell it and put that towards a new one. Without getting rid of the RW I will be looking at spending $500-$600, with selling it, add about $250. It will primarily be used for 70/30 HT/MUSIC. A few of the obvious brands are Emotiva, HSU, SVS, Rythmik, and Outlaw. I am not looking to go the DIY route, because I don't have access to any tools currently not the time. It will be in the corner,most likely. The Svs Cylinder sub is really enticing me, as is the Vtf-3 from HSU. The cylinder I think would have the best WAF but she seems to be open for the most part. I am looking to go deep and clean. As with most of the brands I think they will all go loud and blend in with the RF - 3s and RC - 62II well. I appreciate that help. All the equipment the is in my signature is current.

I appreciate the help and look forward to the input.

Adam

Do I keep the RW, and add a better sub or just sell it and put that towards a new one. Without getting rid of the RW I will be looking at spending $500-$600, with selling it, add about $250. It will primarily be used for 70/30 HT/MUSIC.

Adam,

I would keep the RW-10d for now and buy Shake777's RT-12d for the crazy price of $600.00. If the two subs don't blend well, sell the RW-10d and recoupe a couple of hundred dollars to more than pay for shipping costs.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/150805.aspx

Bill

That doesn't seem like a bad idea, now a lot of the stuff I have read gives the RT -12 a more musical punch to it then movie depth. Does this hold true?

I have read the same thing about the RT-12d being a more musical sub than a digging to the deepest deep HT sub. Personally, I would prefer a tight and fast musical sub that is very audible to 20-22Hz than a below 18Hz sub that has no rhythm or speed. JMO.

I just resently added a Paradigm Servo 15a to my setup to handle the deep stuff and compliment my RSW-10d which is very fast and musical. Now I have the best of both worlds. Finding a $600.00 sub(used or new) that can do all things is difficult but not impossible.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been doing a ton of research, and decided between two subs. Unfortunately since the RT-12 isn't available I started looking heavily into eD specifically the A7s-450 or the A5-350. So being primarily for movies and in a large room I think both would do great, but I'm just wondering if the sealed sub is going to dig deeper? Anybody with experience of either or both? I'm gonna make my order at the end of the week most likely. Leaning towards the A7s just because the amp they are now shipping with has an eq built in so I don't have to get the eq.2.

Thanks,

Adam

According to the specs, the ported sub goes deeper (18Hz vs 22 Hz). That being said, I might choose the sealed. It goes nearly as deep, has eq and the sealed configuration is nice for music. The ported sub will drop off sharply below the tuning frequency of the box where the sealed sub will drop off more gradually.