Question about B&k 200.7

Thors1982

Question for the B&K amp owners

I just purchased a B&K 200.7 S2 used. I just set it up for the firs time last night did some demos watched half a movie etc etc.

Is it normal for this thing to get INSANELY hot. I mean it was very very hot to the touch? is this normal and ok? I want to keep this amp for a very very long time so I am concerned at how much heat it was putting off.

Thanks

Willend has a few B&K amps so he should be able to help you, plus he frequents here so he should chime in....any time now bill. I dont think it should get too hot for you to keep your hand on it for 8 seconds. Were you testing it out with the volume turned up? I have heard of someone before with an amp that all of a sudden started getting hot when it hadnt before. If this is an issue you should not be using your amp until it gets fixed less you want to fry even more of it. I have a emotiva upa-5 and i do not listen to it too loud but it has never ran warm for me.

Question for the B&K amp owners

I just purchased a B&K 200.7 S2 used. I just set it up for the firs time last night did some demos watched half a movie etc etc.

Is it normal for this thing to get INSANELY hot. I mean it was very very hot to the touch? is this normal and ok? I want to keep this amp for a very very long time so I am concerned at how much heat it was putting off.

Thors1982,

Great choice in amp.

I do own (2) B&K amps, an EX4420 and a Reference 4430. Both are older but of the same basic design as your 200.7 but just not a 7-channel. I would say both amps get a little warm after a good workout with the EX4420 running a few degrees shy of what I would say is hot. The 200.7 has a huge transformer(1500VA) in it as opposed to the ones in my B&K's(625VA) and of course more capacitance than either my 2-channel or 3-channel amps for obvious reasons. It may be biased more toward class A like my EX4420 which would cause it to run a bit warmer. Just make sure you have it properly ventilated or add an exaust fan just for more peace of mind.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280330

Both my B&K's have been running strong for over 12 years.

Bill

Thanks a lot Bill

I measured it last night with a thermometer. Right after watching "quantum of solace" and the thermometer read 123 degrees Fahrenheit. The way I measured it was I just held it in what I thought was the hottest location without opening it up of course :-p Do those temperatures sound okay?

I think part of my paranoia is I do not like to buy used but this is the amp I have wanted for many years and I couldn't afford one new. Its great to hear that yours lasted 12 years this one was originally purchased in 2008 so should still have lots of life.

I measured it last night with a thermometer. Right after watching "quantum of solace" and the thermometer read 123 degrees Fahrenheit.

Before I bought one of these exhaust fans,

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

Amplifier/Receiver Cooler + Fan Speed Controller + Rubber Feet + AC Power Supply

my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver's internal temperature would hover around 130 degrees Fahrenheit during a good workout. I am sure the lid temp was probably about 123 degrees. After installation, 115 degrees was the highest temp I saw. I just bought one of the same fans and placed it on top of my B&K EX4420 to help dissipate the heat.

Keep in mind, your RF-7's, RC-7 and RS-7's all of can dip below 4ohms which could cause the B&K to temp up a bit more.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/42421/394210.aspx

Bill