Audition/Palladium/LI

shake777

Palladium on Long Island? I would be extremely appreciative if you could let me have a listen. I'd like to buy some but there's no place to hear them but for three hours drive away. So, make a liitle boy happy and let me hear your system please. Thanks, Nic

By the way, thanks for the encouragement, I guess Kansas would be more of a challenge but I read somewhere that there are only about ten Palladium dealers in the US. Not sure if thats correct but who would think there's none in the NY metro area?

I think they were more detailed than my Reference with 7s and 83s (I have 5 channel set up now) but they didn't jump off the floor and say wow, I'm the greatest compared to the Reference. It was hard to say since I couldn't get all the adjustments I wanted due to the nature of his set up. They were good enough for me to want to pursue a used pair of P 37Fs. I really was hoping to be bowled over by them but that didn't happen. My ears could be shot too. Nic

Nic, I felt the same way when I auditioned them in Philadelphi. They sounded good, but they didn't wow me like I thought they would. At the same time, my expectations were massive, especially from all the reviews I've read. The longer I listened, the better they sounded, but the first impression wasen't what I thought it was going to be.

Dysmae, I decided to go ahead and make the purchase. The price was good. Almost half price and only a few months old. I figured this may be the last set of mains I buy and although I will listen to a lot of 5 channel music (I'm buying a demo P-27 from Ron and Bobs for $3k) with either rf7s or 83s in the back, I wanted something that was going to work well with the Denon 11.2 channel system I had previously as well. I'm keeping that as well because I read DTS has committed to that format. I almost jumped ship and went with the huge B&Ws it didn't make sense for that reason (they won't match my other Klipsch) and because I really didn't like the B&Ws...awfully expensive as well. Now I can use some of that money to fill in the extras I've been wanting. I also believe that the P-37s are going to sound better as time goes on due to the horns calming down and because Its hard to appreciate something after racing to get there for three hours and knowing you have to race back. I will have them in about a week and I am very excited to hear them in my own home in my own comfy chair and nothing but time. I can't imagine them not sounding great with the amount of time, effort, and excellent materials that go into them. I trust Klipsch and the forum. Thanks for your comments. It helps to know one isn't completely crazy. Palladium...wow, what a great wife I have because she really doesn't get this hobby at all but she still supports me. Nic

CfKsB, Thanks plenty. We are waiting to see if our leaking wall in the basement of our just barely moved in home is finally fixed. Once that is done then its to making that space livable and very comfortable. We still haven't come up with a theme yet but it seems like its going to be a homespun kind of scene not a typical theater like one. I can guarantee we will have comfortable chairs! Nic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, Nic -- you probably recall that I got to use a P-38 setup for my classical music "class" 3 or 4 years ago at a Pilgrimage in Indy. I was very impressed with the musical accuracy on very demanding classical music.The setup included a Pallladium sub, a Palladium center, and P-27 surrounds.

I discovered that the Palladium sub was very important for the lowest octave, such as string bass pizzicato and bass doubling in orchestral passages. This bass foundation was much better in P-38s with the sub, than in a pair of P-39s without a sub, even though the 39s have better bass than the 38s.

I realize the Palladium sub is expensive, but I suggest you give it consideration for the above reason, if you don't have one. I think it will likely give the setup a more complete top-to-bottom range.

I'm hoping Klipsch will have a Pilgrimage this year, with a full Palladium setup on display. I think you made a great choice for what I recall as its musical accuracy.

Hi Larry, Having trouble rembering and want to let you know I ordered a Velodyne DD18 plus to add to other subs listed in my system profie and signature. Hope that helps and when I'm less squeezed for time I'll check back as I'm intrigued by your post. Thanks, Nic

I don't know much about subs, haven't heard the ones you mention, and don't have one myself (K-horns, plus no space left in the room for a large sub). I only know that the Palladium sub combined very nicely (and musically) with the P-38s, and musically natural sound is my priority.

Ok L, I'm not going to shove anything down your throat. If you ever get up this way you're welcome to see the little ones I have. They are about the size of two shoe boxes and I'm one who hates clutter so I know what you mean. You could also check out my Palladiums. We even have guest accomodateions for a weekend for you and your wife. I know its a bit much but I love company that understands the passion we have for AV or at least audio. Just be a good guest. N

Oh, I misunderstood why you asked if I was on the Island. I'm always happy to see other peoples' systems, but LI is a long and hard drive from here. I certainly appreciate the accommodation offer. It would be a very interesting experience.

The pic below shows why I don't think I can add a sub to my visually friendly but currently too crowded living room. The TV is now in a large wood cabinet, and the seeming space behind the other end of the couch is taken up by the other monobloc:

AKlipschDscn0307.jpg

I'd definitely like to hear someone's Palladium setup in his/her home.