Cornwall owners

I owned 2 pair and recently found something out, they are with a freind here on the BB!

All the crossover caps were bad, which would explain my irratations with the high end,you need to replace the crossovers with ALK upgrades!

The cornwalls sounded fine but after a while they were buzzing my ears!

I am also thinking that the bass on the crossoveres were bad also!

Id swear they went down to 25 Hz!

So in the long run i should have upgraded the crossovers instead of trading them off!

I now have 4 chorus, and last night i put some power thru them, and had absolutely no hearing irratations, (ringing in my ears)!

So down the road when i get another pair, im ganna replace the crossovers with ALK before i even hook them up!

I lost some bass, but am still very happy with the chorus!

So that explained about me complaining that they were to big for this room!

The new owner got a headache, and is in the proscess of replacing the caps!

I found an 18 inch comercial subwoofer, the woofer looks like an EV, im ganna get that, and install the towered power amp into the box, and have a mondo sub!

Ill post results ,if i can round the money up for the speaker!

So as far as cornwalls being original, the crossovers do wear out, replace them!

Regards Jim

The problem with old cross-overs on Klipsch speakers isn't so much that they wear out...but more that their exposure to the elements deteriorates them more rapidly. On all the Klipsch speakers except the Heresy (which has the cross-over inside an "air-tight" environment, the cross-overs are exposed to the open air, a bit less so for the Cornwall, since the only air that can circulate must go through the ports.

When you are dealing with anything that is in the air that flows around them gathering up on the individual parts of the network (ie., dust, residual smoke, airborne contaminants such as what allows you to smell the bacon frying in the kitchen, etc.), then the problem is always present.

Heat, cold, moisture/humidity, and exposure to sunlight also contributes to this problem.

Add to these factors the physical and sonic abuse many Klipsch speakers have had in their lifetimes.

Even the excellent ALK crossovers, over time, will be adversely affected by these factors.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-28-2002 at 03:27 PM

Jim....what crossovers did you have in those CW's? Although I'm sure it happens far more than we are told about, I'm not sure I've heard too often of xovers 'deteriorating' just from ambient air swirling around them. The crossovers in my 50's era Khorns souns as good as they did 50 years ago.....I think....

HDBR (or anyone) Are there certain types of caps that have the tendency to 'deteriorate' more than others? I note with interest that the AA's that I have with the big oil filled caps sound as warm and smooth as ever. However, I have an AA that originally came with my '74 Belle that has smaller round 'can type' caps and it sounds terrible. What about other components within the net?

------------------

Ed

Ed,

I was just making a point as to what causes deterioration of elements found within the crossover networks' components over time. It isn't the air, it is what is IN it. Corrosion is the biggest problem, along with build-up of airborne contaminants(grunge)...especially on electrical contact points open to the air. I sincerely believe that if just the wiring contact points were on occassion cleaned and a good contact point assured that most of the problems people have with the networks over time would never occur in at least ONE LIFETIME!! Add to that a good dusting of the open-to-the-air cross-over assemblies...preferably utilizing a shot or two of low-pressure compressed air!!...like in those little cans people use to clean computer equipment. And occassional unhooking of the contacts, a shot or two of contact cleaner or solvent grade ether, and a re-application of a bit of di-electric grease to stave off corrosion can make a world of difference(a tiny dab of this grease worked into the bristles of a tiny paint brush is excellent for doing this...gives very light coat)!!!

Klipsch always made its best attempt to provide the absolute best materials and craftsmanship in its speakers and components, but like anything, regular maintenance helps ensure longetivity.

As for your query as to which caps tend to deteriorate more rapidly than others...and why...I have no idea...but I would bet that Al.K can answer that one for us!!! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-29-2002 at 03:05 PM