Extra amp or no?

reynolr

I'm of the opinion that any setup will be improved by a quality external amp. Larger, more power hungry speakers may benefit more though. You'll see a much more noticeable upgrade if you take the money you would have spent on an XPA-3, sell your RF-52s and RC-52 and upgrade your front 3 speakers. RF-82 with RC-62 center would be a perfect upgrade for that price range.

I was trying to avoid that. I just got these a few weeks ago and really don't want to upgrade my speakers until I can afford 63's or 7's. And I was thinking if I get the amp now Alls is have to do is swap the speakers later since all the wire and everything are already run. My question is would it be worth getting the amp now? Or Jus wait on it since I wouldn't see much of a difference with the 52's I have.

If you're planning on getting it eventually then you might as well get it now. They certainly aren't going to get any less expensive as time goes on!

The nice thing about a good power amp is they're something that will probably be one of the pieces of gear you'll own the longest. Not like receivers or pre-amps where they are constantly adding new features and technology.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I've never owned one so I guess my last questions would be that it wouldn't blow my 52's and its going to be a while 1+ yrs b4 I will be able to upgrade my speakers. So the amp won't loose power will it?

That's kinda what I was thinking. I've never owned one so I guess my last questions would be that it wouldn't blow my 52's and its going to be a while 1+ yrs b4 I will be able to upgrade my speakers. So the amp won't loose power will it?

No, the amp will not lose its power over time. As wuzzzer mentioned, with the price of raw materials going up sharply I could imagine that the price of big amps such as the XPA-3 will be much higher in another 4 years. If you plan to upgrade your speakers anyway, get the amp now and enjoy it.

Well'p I've been convinced. My final question would be do the XPA-3's go on any sort of sales? I was reading a thread earlier today and they were talking about how they got one for $450 plus $25 s&h? Does this happen often or was it a one time thing? Anyone know?

Well'p I've been convinced.

You have? Didn't you just get all your stuff fairly recently? Why don't you TRY to enjoy your new stuff for a while before giving in to the upgrade bug so soon? Please? [;)]

Save up your money for a while and set your sites on somethiong nicer than what you are currently considering.

Yes, they do go on sale a couple times a year. You just missed the 4th of July sale. Last year I think they had a Halloween sale.

Well'p I've been convinced. My final question would be do the XPA-3's go on any sort of sales? I was reading a thread earlier today and they were talking about how they got one for $450 plus $25 s&h? Does this happen often or was it a one time thing? Anyone know?