Refoaming DONE!!! Woo Hoo!

Ironsave

Well Cliff; I just hooked them up in the living room. Could not wait......

Th HK430 is awesome. I can't go past 35% without it getting too loud for the neighbors. (They are home).

The speakers sound excellent. If anything; the highs are not as defined as the Heresy Is; but the thumping compensates.

These will do VERY nicely in the bedroom (eventually in a 2 channel room). And no sub needed.......

It is great to hear the fruits of my labor........

Thanks to all for your help! [:D]

I did a set of KG 5.2 12" woofers before. They were polypropelyne, not paper; so that is my biggest concern, is cutting/ tearing the paper while removing the center cap.

Ironsave, I am curious about your refoam with the polypro. Did you use foam or butyl surrounds for those? Also, did you use a polypro dust cap? I'd be interested in any details or pics.

Regards,

Brian

Brian,

I used butyl surrounds.

I did not use a dustcap; as the voice coil gap was larger.

(I got it right/ no rubbing; without shimming).

If you decide to replace the dust cap and shim properly; I suggest being careful with an exacto knife and you should be able to get it off ok.....

It was more of a pain as the glue took longer to set and the rubber did not seem to want to adhere as readily as the foam and paper.

Sorry; no pics available on those.......

I got my surrounds from Parts Express.

(I did a bunch of measuring and rechecking to make sure that it would fit).

Depending on what exact size you need; I would look there and also Simply Speakers and perhaps Ebay.

(Ebay is where I got the L 36 woofer surrounds).

I noticed no tonal difference. The buyer was pleased; and said he would not have known if I did not tell him...

Nice work Matt. A little DIY increases sound quality. [:P]

I've used a AA battery to center the voice coil. Hook it up to the woofer in reverse polarity. The woofer will suck in and stay, with the voice coil suspended, not touching anything. A good method for keeping the original dust caps intact.

This means it's a two step gluing process. First glue the surround to the woofer cone, let dry/cure. Then do the battery trick and glue surround to the basket.

The shims are more of a guarantee in centering. The battery comes in when replacement dust caps can't be found, or aren't desired.

Nice work Matt. A little DIY increases sound quality. Stick out tongue

I've used a AA battery to center the voice coil. Hook it up to the woofer in reverse polarity. The woofer will suck in and stay, with the voice coil suspended, not touching anything. A good method for keeping the original dust caps intact.

This means it's a two step gluing process. First glue the surround to the woofer cone, let dry/cure. Then do the battery trick and glue surround to the basket.

The shims are more of a guarantee in centering. The battery comes in when replacement dust caps can't be found, or aren't desired.

Lyle,

Awesome info!

That is a great procedure to do "next time"....... (I was really worried about the L 125A woofers ripping when I removed the dust caps)....

This will be useful in the future; I am sure..... [Y]