Have I found the perfect speaker stands for Heresy IIs?

JoshT

In one last attempt to avoid having to special order or make my own speaker stands for the Heresy IIs I bought used recently, I checked around on the web and found these on AudioAdvisor:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=LOJAZZ1800&product_name=Jazz%20Speaker%20Stands%20-%20Pair

The specs seem pretty darn close to being right -- certainly better than any other commercial speaker stands I have come accross:

The top base is 8" by 9" -- which means a bit less than a 4 inch overhanng on each side an about a 2 inch overhang in front and back (assuming centered). The bottom base is 12" by 12" -- which means a bit less than a 2 inch overhang on the sides and a 1 inch front to back. That is not ideal, but still pretty good, espcially since these are heavy duty steal, only 18 inch tall, and the Heresys aren't too tall or top heavy (the overall hight would be about 39"). They make a 6" high version too, but I don't think that is enough lift for my application. Too bad there is no 12" high versopm, which would be ideal for me.

I hate that they cost more than 1/2 what I paid for the speakers, but I have seen nothing approaching these specs commercially before now.

What do you think?

Josh,

Have you tested your heresy's at that height to see what they sound like ? I would hate to see you buy those stands and find they sound thin on the bass side. I had mine up on some 12" stands they really lost bass I believe this is why they made the slanted riser for them.

Those do look like some nice stands but for that price they should be. They get way to much for stands, AV racks and all the extra's in this hobby.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

JoshT,

The slant is definitely meant to point the Heresy toward the listeners. If you think the stock Heresy riser is too low, how much do you think it would cost to have a high school wood shop student, or a vocational school cabinet maker student whip out a pair of risers from some 3/4 inch ply. You could even have them double the height of the stock risers to get them closer to your ears and still have them coupled to the floor. I'll bet Klipsch will even provide the dimensions or maybe send an email to HDBRbuilder, a member of this Forum, who used to build Heresys at the Klipsch works. Use the leftover cash for your other new hardware. BTW, I found a VTA adjuster for Rega RB arms is only about 39.99.

Just my 2 cents worth of idea.

Klipsch out.

Thanks guys. I definitely appreciate the input. Here are the reasons I justify thinking about these stands:

1. The only place for these speakers is in my bedroom. There is simply no other home for them in my apartment unless I move to a bigger place, and rent in Boston prohibits that!

2. The bedroom is a decent size room, but the only way I can get the horns to "look over" the edge of the bed is to lift them at least a foot (which is necessary, as I will be listening to them from the bed, but not while seated on the edge).

3. I intend to place them VERY close to the rear wall (though not close to any side walls), which will cause the imaging to suffer somewhat, but will increase the base. Although they are now on the floor of my livingroom, they are way out in the middle, which must cause the bass to suffer too.

4. If push comes to shove I may get a subwoofer anyway (though I would prefer to avoid that).

Yeah, those stands are expensive. Still, they are awfully nice.

Josh

Hey Jazman,

Thanks for your response too -- looks like we were drafting at the same time, so I had not seen it. I realize I could probably get these done a lot cheaper. I like the idea of basing them on the existing risers, which I have. It's just that the Lovan stands caught my eye as the only commercially available stands out there that would fit the Heresys IIs, so I figured folks would want to know. I would be more inclined to pay the $$$ if I owned brand-new Heresy IIs with a high-end finish, but it seems like a lot of dough for 13 year old birch veneer speakers that I paid $400 for! Still tempting though.

That sounds like a bargain for a VTA adjuster. I thought they went for $200 bucks. Good deal.

Josh