Adding Sub To Center In HT Setup

dabarlo

Thoughts on adding a KSW-50 To a KV-3 center to give a full range effect? I'd run speaker cable from center posts on amp to speaker inputs on sub and adjust the low pass crossover to extend the range of the KV-3. Is this fesiable or am I barking up the wrong tree here? It would be used with Forte mains.

Since most of the sound in a movie comes from the screen, explosions, too. A sub on the center wired like you describe would be great. BobG does it, now. A similar effect can be had by setting your center channel to crossover to your subwoofer(s) and setting the sub out to Sub+LFE.

John

i thought a center channel sub would be great once, but

then again mixers w/ any sense these days are putting the real low hardhitting (+10db) stuff in the LFE channel. some do put some real low stuff in the center

but the trend seems to be toward directing more of that

to the sub preout.

so if you already have a sub or not, i'd put it or another sub, or a bigger sub on the sub preout instead of putting it in the center channel. with almost all processors, as long as sub:yes, all LFE goes only to the sub preout & sub.

so a sub on the center channel doesn't get LFE. only low bass that may or may not be mixed in there. & just setting that to small directs that low bass to the sub(s) off the sub preout.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-30-2002 at 10:11 PM

My advice to your question would be to simply try the sub setup you have in mind.

Wire the center speaker output on your receiver to the speaker level input on the sub,then speaker wire from the speaker level output on your sub to the KV-3.Set center to large,adjust to taste,and listen to familiar software for a few weeks and decide for yourself.

I tried the center sub for a short while months ago and am undecided.I plan to re-try in the next week or two.I do know the center sub LOOKS groovy in front of my RPTV.The wife wasn't thrilled though. Think I'll go try to thrill her now!

Good luck!

Keith