EV Project - Georgian

colorlaser

Can't figure out how to get more than one picture per post. In this photo you can see (barely) three drivers at the top... One horn and two standard. I believe there is a woofer in the enclosure below - those wires must go somewhere! Gotta take it apart and I hate to, but no choice I guess.

Everything I read says the Georgian has only three drivers rather than four. What am I not understanding?

This was built in 1956 or early 1957 - the crossover box had 1957 newpaper in it. New York Times (for the curious).

I looking it over, it appears that all components are properly connected. No loose wires etc. What I CANNOT figure out is where to connect the speaker wire. I'd like to know if they unit works at all.

Info and suggestions appreciated! And if you have one like it, I am in the market!

post-8505-13819660503434_thumb.jpg

I opened the "bass enclosure" to find a 15BWK, down firing. The horn above is an 848HF. The T-35 that (I believe) one would expect is not there. Instead, they used two Magnavox S-332 drivers, which I assume to be tweeters. They are cross-wired from a single pair of wires from the cross-over, so it is really a three way cross-over with a "double tweet."

Photo of cross-over attached. Micamold capacitors. Some GE components, and some unlabeled coils? Difficult to see, much less get good pictures, with everything mounted in the box. I would have to disassemble the cross-over to get it out of the box. Which will have to happen eventually I suppose.

Also, I did discover the input connectors. Unfortunately, I also discovered a loose wire so I am not going to try to test this until I have that resolved.

Could I maybe just use a generic three-way cross-over to test it? I am thinking now that I will just part it out, but if it sounds really great (HIGHLY doubtful) I would reconsider..

post-8505-13819660620474_thumb.jpg

I posted a pic of the cross-over. I especially like the use of cotton string to hold some of the components together. Hahaha! The use of newspaper to keep things from shifting was... ingenius? I am thinking the builder was a kick-*** skilled cabinet maker, but not so much on the electronics.

Hi, 1st off, Your speaker is NOT a "Georgian". It's an EV "Centurian". An entirely different animal. The 15 BWK was EV's "Economy" woofer that made its 1st apperance in the Centurian.. This is NOT a K-Horn enclosure but a simple single folding path corner horn. Bass is good to about 50 cps & Dies quickly below that.