Sonny Clark Album

gagelle

I just picked up a new 2 record jazz set called Leapin' and Lopin' with Sonny Clark, Tommy Turrentine, Charlie Rouse, Butch Warren and Billy Higgens on Blue Note records. Incredible session with perfect fidelity. It was so realistic, I felt like I was at a jazz club. Brand new album on sale for $35. Words can't describe the genius of these musicians. Anyone into jazz?

I like my KLF-30s more and more every day.

Leapin' and Lopin' is one of my favorite Sonny Clark LPs. I have 3 different copies. My older King pressing and the new 45 are both terrific.

If you like that, try Cool Struttin' and Sonny's Crib (just to name a couple).

Lots of jazz folks here on the forum. Back in the early days, we used to talk jazz quite a bit. Do a forum search and you'll discover a ton of great recommendations.

When I lived near NYC, I used to go to the clubs like the Village Vanguard. Many new clubs have opened up over the years. It's a real experience to be so close to a good group. I remember a particular McCoy Tyner concert. He started playing and it sounded great, then the whole group started up, which included Reggie Workman on Bass. It's hard to describe the experience. I felt like my whole being just expanded. It's such a mystical thing, the way these guys can improvise and stay so tight. NYC has the best variety of jazz clubs. Some of them are cheap. I really miss that. Every time I visit, I try to hit a jazz club.

It says "Limited Edition" on the album, whatever that means. I bought it at a place called Rasputen's. Rasputen took over Tower Records in the bay area of CA when they went out of business. Their San Francisco store has a better selection of jazz but you may be able to find it on their web site.

I just played the album again. It's 180 gram vinyl. It must be a special release. Amazon may have it. It's strange because the songs were made from a compilation of 45s and are short.

They're rereleasing many classic jazz recordings in 180 gram vinyl. I really like it. No warps and much harder to scratch. They're also coming down in price. Amazon has a large vinyl department with more jazz than I expected.