klipsch RW-10D a good match?

reynolr

I currently have a Klipsch sub 12 (synergy) and have been searching to get a 2nd one for $250 (what I paid for the one I have). I just checked newegg and they have the RW-10D for sale right now for my $250 budget. Would this: 1) work well with my sub 12? and 2) be better or worse then my sub 12? Please let me know, the deal is up shortly, Thank you all in advance.

newegg has the rw12d listed for 350 on sale also with promo code EMCKBJD63, i havent directly heard the rw12d but ive heard the rw12 and played around with a rw10d in my setup for a week while i bought it for a relative

this is a link to previous thread with the ear talking about the comparision between the two

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/79288.aspx

in my basement downfiring seems to do very poorly and front firing is a good increase, my case id take a 12d over sub12 when they are on sale but prefer id subs

if it were me id really look at selling the sub12 and getting something like the epik legend

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

I read that post and it seems that the sub-12 has 95% of what the rw-12d does. I enjoy my sub 12 for HT, but while listening to Pandora on my reciever, it flat out sucks. While watching a movie it does a pretty good job tho, you can feel it. I am looking for something flat out better, not just 5% or so, so maybe the rw-12d isn't for me. I know you mentioned the epik, how about the emotiva or something else. 500 may be pushing it right now, but if it is going to blow me away (literally) then I may save up a little more and purchase. So what would you reccommend, $500 prolly the max.

for 500 id coinflip the epik legend or emotiva ultra 12, id still sell sub12 and then later on purchase another matching sub for dual setup if 1 still isnt enough, my vote would still be the legend as it should be a better preformer as it is larger and weighs 2x more

if you go for a dual setup right away its 900vs800 and id definitely go dual epiks instead, but i dont see you having this issue as they would likely be overkill in your setup

hsu,ed, epik and emotiva would be companies to look at for under 500

If we are speaking prices, the emotiva is 429 w/ free shipping. The Epik Legend is 499 plus 60 bucks to ship to my house, that 560. So if you are saying they are a coin flip (tied in performance) then would the emotiva for 130 bucks cheaper be the way to go? Or is the Legend well worth the extra 130? I just read over the link posted and the legend seems very cool, but I am wanting to get some great performance you can feel. Also, thanks for your help.

by coinflip i meant youll have to coinflip the difference in price and looks of the subs with personal taste, im pretty sure the legend will outpreform the emo sub but i havent seen any preformance listings on either just the spec sheets

Emotiva ultra 12

Power Output: 300 watts RMS, 500 watts peak

Typical In-Room Frequency Response: 22Hz-200Hz

Typical In-Room SPL: 110-113db

Dimensions:

Unboxed: 14.5” wide x 14.5” high x 15.25” deep

Epik legend

• 300W RMS amplifier
  • 750W short-term RMS
  • Frequency response : 20-200 Hz +/-3.5 dB
  • 16 - 18 Hz usable in-room extension
  • Weight: 80 pounds shipped
  • Size: 18 H x 15 W x 20 D (13W w/o grills)
the legends a bigger cabinet its heavier and probably digs a little deeper i would imagine but the emo doesnt list +/-3db on response, emotiva does usually have a great warranty and return program, if i had 130 extra id try the legend, if not id try the ultra 12

Again thanks for your advice, I just posted this on the powered subwoofer page to get others input. But as f now I'm thinking I am going to hold off until I can save a few hundred more for the Legend. Have you actually heard the Epik Legend? Or just going off the Stats?

Epik makes great subs and I love the empire. Chad the owner

is a super nice guy who will talk your ear off and also let you talk his off. However

the legend has had amp issues being too hot and shutting down (I think it’s underpowered

for two 12s). It kills me to say anything bad about epik but just giving it to

you straight. Tons of happy legend owners but I have just read too many

problems with the amp to recommend them. Until they fix it I would go another

direction. The one thing I have noticed about the big four epik/svs/hsu/ed is

that there smaller models have amp issues. I would try and get a mid-sized one

if possible if you can spend 900 on an empire you would be blown away. Another option

would be two emo subs but they don’t reach down to that 20 -25 Hz range with

much power. And for movies 20-25 Hz sounds awesome when the sub can hit it hard,

and flood your room with it. Bass is a whole new addiction and after you get a taste

of good bass you will want more and better. So imo if you can’t afford a mid-level

(900-1200 range) new try and find one used. Not saying you won’t be happy just giving

you my experience.