Speakerlab woofer from its tribute to the Heresy in a Heresy?

MikeFord

I found a couple Speakerlab w1200R woofers local to me, wondering how they might do as replacements for the bashed cone K22's in my Heresy I speakers?

There is a tech sheet of TS parameters on audiokarma, but I can't see images until I am approved by the moderator.

Plug the parameters into your favorite simulation software and you should get sensitivity. IIRC the W1200R, later rebranded W1208R, has a bigger magnet than the K22, so all other things being equal, it should be more sensitive. Don't know off hand how the other factors that affect sensitivity compare.

Yeah, I saw that 34...

Typically, 8 ohm speakers have a DC resistance around 6 ohms, plus or minus a few tenths. However, it is possible to have lower resistance depending on how the voice coil is wound. A notable example of that is the EV15WK, a 16 ohm speaker with a 3.2 ohm DC resistance, So, 3.4 might be OK for the W1200R. What do the TS parameters say?

I wasn't sure that image would work, or stay working, so I am typing the info here. I don't have a favorite TS program right now, haven't touched speaker building in a good 10 years or "yipes" more, any suggestions?

W1200R

Construction
Maximum diameter 12.01"
Outside depth 6.44"
Magnet material weight 19 oz.
Magnet material Alnico
Total weight 8.31 lb.
Voice coil type 2 Layer
Voice coil diameter 2"
Surround type butyl rubber
Baffle opening diameter 11.19"
No. of mounting holes 8

Performance
Natural resonant freq, Fs (5) 20.2 Hz
Moving mass, Mc (6) 71 g
Compliance, Cms (6) .87 mm/N
Compliance, Vas (7) 12.0 ft3
Magnetic ?ux density
in gap, B (8) 7,700 G
Bl product.Bl (9) 8.9 T-m
Voice coil DC resistance, RE 5.8 Ohms
Effective piston area. SD (10).053 m2
Mechanical Q, OMS (11) 2.87
Electrical O, Qes (11) .59
Total Q, Qts (11) .49

Application
Minimum recommended power (12) 15-25W
Maximum recommended power (13) 100W
Maximum recommended
crossover frequency 1 kHz
Rated impedance (14) 8 ohms
Recommended sealed
enclosure volume 2.0 +- .5 ft3

He is using a Fluke T5-600, an electricians meter with a 1000 ohm resistance range, but he measured them again and got 14, which makes me think something is wrong with meter or technique.

I live about 25 min away, thought it was much closer but he is in Costa Mesa and listed location as Orange, as in Orange county, and I am in Orange, the city within the county. I may try to pay him a visit on Saturday, but if I do it will include an offer to buy them on the spot.

So many interesting options, and these really at best would be OK. SP12B or McCauley 6234 could be fun, even if the 6234 wouldn't have much bass. I'm planning on just letting it ride, and buying whatever turns up as the best deal with shipping.

I found a couple Speakerlab w1200R woofers local to me, wondering how they might do as replacements for the bashed cone K22's in my Heresy I speakers?

There is a tech sheet of TS parameters on audiokarma, but I can't see images until I am approved by the moderator.

Speakerlab what a great speaker in there day! I have two

pairs of these (black grills though) in storage with the W12O8R drivers. Amazing

bass from those speakers!

I think it would be best if only a local buyer gets them, too risky for something that old to be shipped. ;)

I "think" they are from the SpeakerLab 3, but I've also read that the shift to calling the woofer a W1208R was just to indicate 8 ohm, same basic driver.

More bass makes me wonder if they aren't a fair amount lower in efficiency?

So many interesting options...

Yeah, but the funny thing is they all seem to sound the same until they reach their mechanical limits.

Not surprising really, exclude the low bass and guitar only drivers, and how many options for a "type" of high efficiency vocal range driver in a 12" frame could you have? Put them in a Heresy box with Heresy crossover and the frequency range is even more limited, but I suspect side by side SQ preferences might not be subtle. At least I hate to think my time looking at options isn't totally wasted.

What gets me, with the 5 speakers below I am still thinking about the deals that must be ahead due to the 125 pairs of Heresy's on ebay right now. At some price point I have to guess everybody on the forum might want a pair or two.

...I suspect side by side SQ preferences might not be subtle.

Well, I have Heresys with ElectroVoice, CTS and Eminence woofers as part of the same system, and I cannot tell the difference even though the measured TS parameters varied quite a bit. I think it is just a function of the sealed enclosure. Seems to be very insensitive to variations in parameters unlike some other designs.