Chorus II Headphones

So, in an earlier post there was a long discussion about Cornwalls being too close

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/78857/782692.aspx#782692

I have a similar issue (hesitate to call it a problem). I listen to music at my desk, about 9 hours a day, and I really don't have much of a choice in terms of moving things around. So I am using the new Chorus II's with an HK 430. I have played with the angle on the speakers, from parallel with the back wall, all the way to 90 degrees. Frankly, I am not much of an audiophile, it all sounds differently good. It is loud and fun. In terms of "soundstage" etc., if I sit about 6' from the desk, it sometimes sounds better, of course.

The only thing that I would want to address is the bass. Perhaps because it is so close to my head, and with new titanium tweets and sonicaps, the highs seem overly bright. If I use the "contour" on the HK, the bass comes in much stronger, and balances out. Interestingly, contour does not seem to increase the highs as much as it does the bass.

Besides getting a new office, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for this computer speaker set up? By the way, I am running a musicstreamer II DAC (which sounds pretty good), and listening to a mix of Spotify premium (up to 320kbps on some songs) and CD's. Lots of Jazz, some classical and rock.

The picture is what feels best to me, but kind of looks weird...

Thanks!

post-51687-1381966085164_thumb.jpg

My experience with my HK 430 is similar.

I believe "Contour" is synonymous with "loudness"? (Makes sense to me).

I have to say; you are going to kill your ears. Chorus IIs were not intended for extreme nearfield listening.

I suggest moving the desk as far away from them as possible; while toeing them in to maintain soundstage.

You need to be at LEAST 6 feet away from them at all times; IMHO.

OK..... WHO AM I BS ING?

I suggest different speakers for that application. You are going to kill your ears!

Titanium tweeters 2 feet from your ears for 9 hours a day? Tinnitus is no joke!

Sorry Dude.... I respectfully submit this is NOT very smart.

FWIW; My HK430 sounds great with KG 2s. (Something like these might be a better option, but they should be at least BARE MINIMUM 5 feet away from your ears)......

I don't know. He doesn't say he has them LOUD... Just because I have La Scalas doesn't mean I listen to them at loud volumes.

Bruce

Point taken; but either way; he is not getting an accurate soundstage with the woofers at his feet 2 feet away and the mids partially blocked by the desk.

Also, Those Chorus IIs are efficient. 99db.... They get loud very VERY easily.

A lot of potential for great sound is being lost; and the potential for ear damage is present. (Remember, he said 9 hours a day).

I am not saying ditch the Chori; just move them to a safe distance (and one that can spread the soundstage properly) or get smaller speakers that it is easier to do so with......

My .02

could you type a bit louder? I can't hear you...

but seriously, though I have never been accused of being too smart, this is not meant to be a permanent solution.

I do have a mint set of KG2's (which are very sweet, I agree). They will end up in the office at some point. The Chorus should migrate to the living room. But for those who may have followed the saga of my $100 Chori's, they were a bit rough when I picked them up, and the wife will not yet let them into the more civilized parts of the house. Plus, I need to get rid of the SF2's that are on the home theater set up.

Since I will not be ablte to get around to refinishing the cabinets for a few weeks, and since there is no way I can resist playing them...

but I am being careful about the loudness, for sure.

by the way, the Chorus, with the contour on, sound extremely good even at low volumes and at crazy angles.

I don't know. He doesn't say he has them LOUD... Just because I have La Scalas doesn't mean I listen to them at loud volumes.

Bruce

Point taken; but either way; he is not getting an accurate soundstage with the woofers at his feet 2 feet away and the mids partially blocked by the desk.

Also, Those Chorus IIs are efficient. 99db.... They get loud very VERY easily.

A lot of potential for great sound is being lost; and the potential for ear damage is present. (Remember, he said 9 hours a day).

I am not saying ditch the Chori; just move them to a safe distance (and one that can spread the soundstage properly) or get smaller speakers that it is easier to do so with......

My .02

I have to agree! Wrong tool for the job. That's like taking a Simi-Truck to the grocery store.

I agree with moving them farther away, so you get a (better) soundstage. Toe them in and possibly shove something under the front of the speakers, to aim them up towards your ears.

But, as I always say, if you're happy, I'm happy. If it sounds good to you, fantastic! [<:o)]

Dennie

No argument from me. If it sounds okay now, just roll with it. I had JBL 4311s as my desktop speakers for a while, now have some JBLControl 25s. They work. We all have to make compromises. Being fuarther away would probably be better with the Chori, but sometimes you just roll with it.

Bruce

No argument from me. If it sounds okay now, just roll with it. I had JBL 4311s as my desktop speakers for a while, now have some JBLControl 25s. They work. We all have to make compromises. Being fuarther away would probably be better with the Chori, but sometimes you just roll with it.

Bruce

Exactly! thumbup.gif

I've always wanted to take my La Scalas and aim them at each other, then lay on the floor between them. La Scala Headphones! listening.gif

But, I know it's not going to sound good. Loud? Sure, but I get loud now. LOL I still toy around with the thought! green.gif

Dennie

thanks for the replies guys. gotta make do with what I got. And in terms of the efficiency--I got the HK430 volume knob at about 9'oclock and that is a good volume for most of the day. Hardly loud at all. But the bass can be felt much better than with the KG2's.

when I am thinking, I scoot the chair all the way back to the far way (about 8 feet) and can get the soundstage. I end up thinking quite a bit.

will try a different layout when I get a new couch today.

cheers

thanks for the replies guys. gotta make do with what I got. And in terms of the efficiency--I got the HK430 volume knob at about 9'oclock and that is a good volume for most of the day. Hardly loud at all. But the bass can be felt much better than with the KG2's.

when I am thinking, I scoot the chair all the way back to the far way (about 8 feet) and can get the soundstage. I end up thinking quite a bit.

will try a different layout when I get a new couch today.

cheers

I have to say; if you can feel the bass listening to them in that configuration; you are going to damage your ears (becuase the tweeters are so close).

Why would you want to harm the one thing that allows you so much pleasure?

My HK 430 at the 9 o'clock position with the KG 2s is pretty loud. (With a lot more bass than you would think).

These are only 90.5db efficient versus 99db......

Hey; they are your ears; I am just trying to look out for you......

You asked for opinions......

well--that is why I asked.

I really do take your opinions seriously, since I am new to this, and I want to keep my hearing as good as possible. I will think about what options I have, for sure.

PS You know what really bugs me? The second thing* my wife said when I got these speakers was "you are going to go deaf!"

I hate it when she is right.

(*the first thing she said was "they stink")

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate having some informed perspective on this.