Small issue with receiver....well dead receiver

enhanced250

So I decide to start messing with my home theater last night. Recently I acquired some Marantz Ma500 amps. I did not have all the piece for my new system yet but enough to keep me busy and apparently get me in trouble.

Alitte background: I have been using this receiver for 2 years without a hitch. There is no way it got too hot for the simple fact that it has never and it was only on for about 5 minutes AND I have 2 92mm fans blowing on it.

So heres what happen.....I hooked up 2 of the ma500 to the left and right pre-outs via RCA. I left the center and rears "hard wired" to the receiver. All of them are plugged into my power conditioner.

So were all set....power on the receiver, power on the amps and run the Yamaha YPAO. That works flawlessly-test sounds come from each respective speaker it measures distances and level perfectly. So now im watching TV with receiver at -50 (super low). Decide to give it alittle more juice maybe -40ish and bam receiver clicks off.

Ok no biggie maybe just alittle glitch. Power it back on and clicks off after a second. Un plug it for an hour....no fix. Un plug all speakers and connections from it...still click on click off.

The weird part is I can enter the advanced menu and stay in it as long as I would like without issue.

Anyone ever experience this? Did I hook the mono's up wrong? To me it sounds like a short; but the only thing I changed in the entire setup was the monoblocks and they stayed powered up.

I hope someone can help

My main concern is...could it be posible something is wrong with one of the amps and it reflexed back and shorted something in the receiver? Reason I ask is because Im getting a new receiver in the mail and I dont want the same thing to happen to that one if that is the case.

I had the same thing happen with my onkyo. I sent it in for repair and used my Yamaha with no issue. I got the onkyo back, hooked it up and it immediately broke again. Sent it back and hooked up the yamy. This time my Yamaha went dead. I knew it was me now. I checked it out and what I found was that two of my speaker wires were touching. They were too long and causing a short. Check every connection going into your amps and make sure you aren't bridging the signal at the terminal.

Ok so im going to try and track this down but let me make sure my logic ia correct.....so since my receiver is the one that powered off and my amps stayed on then it must have been one or the speakers directly connected to the receiver and not the external amps right? So were thinking me hooking up the external amps and this happening is coquicendence. Maybe me moving the receiver jarred something loose.

Ok so im going to try and track this down but let me make sure my logic ia correct.....so since my receiver is the one that powered off and my amps stayed on then it must have been one or the speakers directly connected to the receiver and not the external amps right? So were thinking me hooking up the external amps and this happening is coquicendence. Maybe me moving the receiver jarred something loose.

That was the issue in my case.

Could be a bad speaker cable that has a small short in it...or one of your connections. The trickle of voltage at low volumes may not overload the fault protection. Once the volume/watts go up...that trickle becomes bigger and faults out the receiver.

If you are in the menu and no issues...could be zero/very minute power going to the speakers. Once they get a signal...faults out.

Or shorted out one of the channels on the amp....

Well I found a local electronic shop that gives free estimates so its in the shop now........Im just nervous that I can't hunt down the problem and this happens to my new receiver coming in the mail.....Like I said the only thing I changed was adding the marantz monoblocks...but how hard is that just hook up to the pre outs and done.....maybe I jarred something loose while I was moving around the receiver??? Ill keep you guys posted...maybe ill be able to point someone in the right direction one day.

Anyone know where I can get a decent price set of banana plugs maybe if I do EVERY connection in them it will lessen my chances of a short.

Okay...Let's see if we can trace the problem...

Turn OFF power to AMP and AVR and disconnect AMP's power from the Power Conditioner. Now, disconnect your external amplifier's connection at your AVR (Yamaha) and run it to see if it trips!

- If it doesn't: See the connection between Amplifier and AVR

(1) Put multimeter in 'OHM' range and check for shorts between +ve and -ve speaker wire of a given pair of speaker cable.

- If it does:

(1) See if there is a short connections either at AVR connectors or at Speaker connectors between +ve and -ve (visual inspection)

(2) Assuming that +ve and -ve speaker wires are not touching for any connected speaker at AVR, disconnect all speaker cables that are connected to the AVR. Put it in 'OHM' range and check for shorts between +ve and -ve speaker wire of a given pair of speaker cable.

(3) Assuming that you didn't find any cable short, connect all speakers to AVR carefully and run the AVR as you would to see if trip.

(4) If trips again, see if you can find which channel is causing it AVR to trip by disconnecting one by one speakers (turn off power when you do that). If you find a culprit speaker, swap with known good one and see if it still trips the amp. If that's the case, it's mostly that channel of an AVR is giving you a trouble.

See, if you can do these all...Meanwhile, if I think of something will let you know...Good luck...It sucks, but let's try...

I will try that as soon as I get home........Thanks so much!
Would it change anything if I said that the receiver is still acting up with NOTHING plugged into it.

No not at that point! But, you did mention in one of your previous post that AVR doesn't go in 'protection' mode when you are in setup mode or running it at low volume. It only happens when you increase it by 10dB...

Typically, this happens when either the reciver's amplifier section is on the degrading path or a speaker wire connection issue or driving hard low sensitivity speakers at reference level...