Quartet Update and Comparison

tmay2169

Well, I've installed new Crites crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms in my Quartets. I am not sure how long they will need to "break-in" but I did a side by side A/B comparison with my RF-35's they are slated to replace. The comparison had mixed reviews. The Quartets have more detail than the RF-35's. However, they have a "boxy" somewhat whithdrawn sound. The RF-35's on the other hand have a more upfront and natural sound. I'm not sure which I like better at the moment. I will have to do some more testing with various music sources. It does give me pause as to whether I should continue the experiment. I am not sure I will get much more bang for the buck by upgrading the mids.

In my last post, someone suggested the K-701 horn and K-53-Ti mids but does anyone know if they are a direct fit in the Quartet and would they work with the Quartet crossover frequencies? Also, the Quartet has the Tractrix mid-horns and the K-701 is an exponential...what is the difference?

Okay, after several hours of listening and breaking in. The sound has really opened up and the Quartets are clearly coming alive. I believe they are sonically better, by a margin mind you, than the RF-35's. Funny thing, when I turn on both during 2 channel playback, I really like the sound. They seem to have a little of what the other is missing, but I now fully believe that if I update the mid's in the Quartet they will far outshine the RF-35's.

I'm shocked that even with the Quartets in bone stock form there is any comparison to the RF35. The Quartets are a very nice speaker indeed. I'm contemplating having them upgraded myself, but I really like the way they sound, and they got 10x better after running the Audyssey setup on my Denon. No sub needed for any 2 channel listening (that's the way I like it).

Perhaps you should try setting it up without the sub for 2 channel listening (make sure to set speakers to large and sub=no). I use the "flat" setting with dynamic EQ on. My quartets don't seem to need a sub. Perhaps that "boxy" sound you are looking to eliminate might be due to the sub? I would be sure to factor the sub out of your equation/testing when making all these changes to your speakers. I've tried listening to music with my sub (properly calibrated of course) and without, and I can't tell the difference much - actually prefer it to be out of the system except for movies, and I have a pretty nice sub.

• Moderators

I'm not sure which I like better at the moment. I will have to do some more testing with various music sources.

Good idea, I wouldn't rush this at all. After hearing many different klipsch designs the best way to describe it is they all sound somewhat similar but all have little differences and it's not always clear as to which sounds better. And then you throw in personal taste, take your time.

• Moderators

Perhaps you should try setting it up without the sub for 2 channel listening (make sure to set speakers to large and sub=no).

Also a good idea, the sub setting would not be the same for both anyway, also your not trying to judge the sub. You know if you end up with a favorite and it's only problem is it has a little less bass, you have that covered with the sub.