Looking for 5.1 set for $1,500

yveletnik

I have an old question whats the best 5.1 speaker set I can get for $1,500? Music and movies are equally important. Music I listen to would be classic rock. I dont need it to be very loud but would like to have a nice sound quality. The room size is average and might change.

So far looking at following 3 systems

Klipsch RF-52 Home theater:

"http://www.klipsch.com/rf-52-ii-home-theater-system"

listened to a pair of rf-52s without subwoofer, was OK, didnt WOW me but 1,500 is probably not enough for that. Kinda aggressive sound I guess all Klipschs do that, maybe just need to get used to it. Sound needed more body, maybe the subwoofer will fix that, RF-82 sounded fooler, but its out of my price range

Klipsch G-16 Home theater:

"http://www.klipsch.com/gallery-g-16-home-theater"

No reviews on the net whatsoever!!! It cost the same as RF-52 system will it sound the same? Will flat panel be an equal in that price category? White option and flat design will sure make my wife happy.

Kef T205:

"http://www.kef.com/us/surroundsound/t-series/t205"

That system got whole bunch of awards, some reviews even say that it sounds like a $20,000 set of speakers. Im having troubles finding a dealer that have those in showroom in Chicago area.

So I guess the question is for the 1,500 set of speakers does it make sense to go with tower or buy the flat panels? On one hand I always thought that you need to have a big box to make a good sound, but times change

Or is there a better solution for my price?

Any input appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

The best $1500.00 system you can get will be used! If it has to be new, you can skip this part, but, a used set of RF-82s will run about $500.00 and a used RC-62 about $300.00. A pair of RB-61s should cost around $250.00. That would leave you $400.00 for a sub. You could get an RW-12d new for $350.00. It you are interested in something like this, tell us where you are from and one of the forum members can help you hash out a great deal!

If it has to be new, and you want more that what a small system can offer, might I suggest putting it together in stages? Start with the towers and maybe a center. Add a sub later and round it out with bookshelves/surrounds as the budget allows? This allows you to put a bigger and better system together without over-extending the budget.

I haven't heard the Gallery speakers, nor have too many others here, as they are brand new in stores this summer. I can't recommend them, but I am certainly curious as I'd love to add them to my bedroom! If you are going to be doing home theater, a sub-woofer is a must! You don't have to have it now, but you will have to add it to "complete" the cinema experience. For music listening I always recommend 2 big towers or two bookshelves and a sub. The bigger the better (almost w/o fail). For HT sound effects, size is much more forgiving, but for a "cinema-like" experience, size matters.

You also mentioned you have an average size room and might change later. Based on my experience, for high quality Hi-Fi and HT listening, I wouldn't go less than Klipsch Reference RF-62 system. These are full range speakers for stereo listening. The dual 6.5" woofer offers the best balance between bass and mid-bass and it still has the ability to fill a large room with sound. The RC-62 center is a great speaker that will greatly add to dialogue. Those 3 speakers new will run out your budget, but I think you'd be happier with the fuller sound of a 3.0 HT until the budget allows for a couple of surrounds and a sub.

I hope I wasn't too vague, but it's all a matter of taste. IMO there is no better HT speaker available in your price range than the Klipsch Ref line. They also do music pretty well.

Good luck and let us know what you do!

Welcome to the forum!

The best $1500.00 system you can get will be used! If it has to be new, you can skip this part, but, a used set of RF-82s will run about $500.00 and a used RC-62 about $300.00. A pair of RB-61s should cost around $250.00. That would leave you $400.00 for a sub. You could get an RW-12d new for $350.00. It you are interested in something like this, tell us where you are from and one of the forum members can help you hash out a great deal!

If it has to be new, and you want more that what a small system can offer, might I suggest putting it together in stages? Start with the towers and maybe a center. Add a sub later and round it out with bookshelves/surrounds as the budget allows? This allows you to put a bigger and better system together without over-extending the budget.

I haven't heard the Gallery speakers, nor have too many others here, as they are brand new in stores this summer. I can't recommend them, but I am certainly curious as I'd love to add them to my bedroom! If you are going to be doing home theater, a sub-woofer is a must! You don't have to have it now, but you will have to add it to "complete" the cinema experience. For music listening I always recommend 2 big towers or two bookshelves and a sub. The bigger the better (almost w/o fail). For HT sound effects, size is much more forgiving, but for a "cinema-like" experience, size matters.

You also mentioned you have an average size room and might change later. Based on my experience, for high quality Hi-Fi and HT listening, I wouldn't go less than Klipsch Reference RF-62 system. These are full range speakers for stereo listening. The dual 6.5" woofer offers the best balance between bass and mid-bass and it still has the ability to fill a large room with sound. The RC-62 center is a great speaker that will greatly add to dialogue. Those 3 speakers new will run out your budget, but I think you'd be happier with the fuller sound of a 3.0 HT until the budget allows for a couple of surrounds and a sub.

I hope I wasn't too vague, but it's all a matter of taste. IMO there is no better HT speaker available in your price range than the Klipsch Ref line. They also do music pretty well.

Good luck and let us know what you do!

Everything he said and welcome to the forum from me.

Bill

Welcome to the forum

You won't find a butch of better people to help answer your questions I know they really helped me.

I purchased this at Vanns all new Does not include Sub.

Klipsch RF82 II CHERRY $425.00 1 $425.00

Klipsch RF82 II CHERRY $425.00 1 $425.00

Klipsch RC52 II BLACK $249.00 1 $249.00 Could not fit the RC-62

Klipsch RB61 II CHERRY $300.00 1 $300.00

Subtotal: $1,399.00

Shipping: $0.00

Tax Subtotal: $0.00

Grand Total: $1,399.00

Do you have a receiver or processor/amp combo already or is that factored into your 1500?

My thoughts on flat panel speakers:
You buy them if space and aesthetics are of concern. Performance from these types of speakers aregenerally limited because of their small size, a subwoofer is 99% of the time a necessity or you would lose a lot of low end. These types of speakers are very much so meant for on wall application and to be as thin as your tv. Klipsch and Definitive Technology both have designed theirs with stands as well so on-wall placement isnt a requirement.

I very much so love my klipsch speakers but can find them almost too revealing sometimes because of the efficiency of the horns. I have found my rf-7's to be much better for home theater than music unless it is at higher volumes where the size of the drivers come in handy in producing a larger amplitude. Listening to movies and what not they shine at any volume but this is just a personal preference. I found their models with 8" drivers to be among my favorite. They have a very open and full sound with a reasonable size footprint. Similar can be said for their models with 6.5" drivers, especially the towers.

I have heard some KEF speakers and i found them to be a bit bright and somewhat harsh but ruthlessly clear. It may have been the settings on the receiver that made them this way but i would definitly reccomend them. Bowers and Wilkins are also very good, very clean and clear, same for paradigm. Polks are good to but i always get a feeling of lack of refinement in comparison to the other brands i have listed. You may want to check out Mirage if you are looking for size concious speakers, they have fantastic sound dispersion.

Every klipsch speaker i have owned has been used and all are from craigslist. Most of them have been 8-10 years old and are typically 1/3-1/4 of new retail and no tax! They are built to last and as long as you can hear them, feel the drivers, check the enclosure out and see they are good, you shouldnt have any issues. I had problems with 1 pair of speakers and the glue on the passive radiator was old and the cone detached from the spyder, some gorilla superglue and it was fixed, that was on my kg 3.2, they also sounded fantastic. Buying used if available is a great way to save money and get a really good system. If its not an option then saving may be your best alternative.

i believe they got good reviews, i have to check my magazine for the review, i dont remember which one it was in. As far as comparison, i couldnt tell you except KEF makes good quality gear. That set is brand new, like the gallery, you most likely wont find anyone who has them and could give you a review.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the KEF speakers, though I would very much like to. You can read the specs for yourself, but it won't tell you the whole story and nothing substitutes listening in a good room! The KEF is a 2.5 way speaker versus the Klipsch Reference line, which is 2 way, and that, combined with the triple 5.25" woofers means it will likelt sound very good as a stereo speaker. It will likely outperform the Klipsch speakers in the mid-range with a little clarity, but I'd be shocked if it had great depth in the bass or anywhere near the detail of Klipsch.

If a friend asks me what speakers to buy in the $1500.00 range, I'd tell him about Klipsch and list out the info I stated above, but I would also tell him to listen to other brands such as KEF, Mirage, Energy, Def Tech, and Paradigm. Each has it's own unique sonic charachteristics and could be the perfect choice.

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it!