Heresy or Forte 1 for surrounds.

The Dude

I have been tossing around the idea of using my Fortes for surrounds instead of my Heresies for my surrounds. I originally was building a all Heritage ht with Khorns, and Lascala for the front 3, now I just need to decide which to use for my surrounds. One of the reasons I was pondering the idea is I am currently using my Fortes in my 2 channel setup, not that I think no speaker is to big for any room I just feel its a little over kill in the 10x10 room they are in.

I will be getting my H.H. Scott 299 redone some day which I think using the Heresies would sound great and if I wanted more bass I could through in a small sub with the unpowered center channel on the Scott. Plus they wouldn't be so big, now using the Fortes I would build platforms to raise them up to desired surround speaker placement.

Any thoughts recommendations, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

If I do stay with the Heresies for surrounds I will be looking at tradeing my Fortes for some Heresies.

• Moderators

One time when Groomlake was here we put a Heresy ll and a Forte ll on a table connected as L & R to compare, the sound overall, they were not much different at all. In the overall sound it was very close, I don't think it would make much difference for you HT and it would give you a better size for the smaller room, I would try it.

I'm not saying they sound just alike but closer than you would think, especially in the midrange and high frequencies. Now remember these Heresys were gone over by Marshal, so they were perfect, sealed air tight and everything as originally designed, he is very specific as how it should be and doing it correctly. [Y]

By the way Groomlake gave my Grandson that pair which was his first Klipsch ever, H ll, Oak Oil in perfect condition.

I owe him big and will get even one day.

...we put a Heresy ll and a Forte ll on a table...they were not much different at all.

One would expect them to sound very much the same. But that is irrelevant to OP who is trying to match the timbre of speakers with K77 tweeter and K55 squawker driver (unless the Khorns are really old). Neither a Heresy II nor a Forte II would be optimal. A Heresy is a better match hands down because Heresy uses the same tweeter and squawker driver (with the exception of the last couple years) while the Forte has different tweeter and squawker driver.

FWIW I replaced two Heresys I was using as surrounds in a HT system because they were late models ones with the K53 squawker driver and I found the difference in timbre between them the others which had K55s annoying when sounds panned around the room. But like I said above, some folks might not notice a difference.

• Moderators

I didn't think it would have made that much difference being surrounds, I don't know if I could hear the difference ?

But after thinking about it I realize I heard the two side by side, but never compared to what would be used for the fronts. Big difference, that's the real question I skipped over.

My guess is since you are still using a K55 driver for the squawker, a Heresy will be a better match in the midrange where the ear is most sensitive, for the reasons mentioned before. But I suspect the tweeter in the Forte might be a better match for the tweeter though if your high frequency hearing is good. I think you are going to have to try both if you can and see what works best for you.

FWIW you are hardly trying to match to either a Klipschorn or a LaScala...