can someone help me with cornwall ID's please...

Schu

I got lucky and found a set of Walnut CW's on CL yesterday...

can you guys tell me what the differences between these two cornwalls(my first set and the new set) are and why and when(chronology) klipsch might have made the changes.I realize some of it is simply cosmetic, but I see motorboard differences and k33 differences. sonically they are slightly different also.

6145929196_c9bd06b181_z.jpg

why the change in badges?

6145929126_879cc710a9_z.jpg

Hey Schu, I have two pairs just like your. One pair with 3 ports, serial number 26U514/26U515 produced in 1980 as the 25,514th and 25,515th pairs consecutively. The other pair with 2 ports, serial number 10P870/10P871 produced in 1976 as the 9,870th and 9,871st pairs consecutively. Both set of speakers used different type of drivers for squawkers and woofers.

Take a look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

It was around '78 -'79 when the port configuration was changed from 2 ports to three ports. The reason (I was told...) was that it had to do with the grill. The 2 port motorboard required a 4 port grill board. A 2 port grill board was prone to breakage on the bottom as there were only 3 single 1" pieces to support the weight if it sagged, and almost always would break if dropped. So they used a 4 port grill. But then you had 2 vertical parts of the board in the middle of each port. So they compromised and went to 3 & 3, respectively.

why the change in badges?

I am not sure why the changes in the badge, because I think they went from copper to laser back to copper. perhaps it had something to do with the cost, but I think that the Klipsch is more easily identified in the copper; there is more contrast. As a company, you want your name and brand visible.

The K-33's.... theoretically.... are more or less the same. The older square magnets had a different resonance frequency (as I was told...), and were supposedly more desirable.

If you replace one woofer, you should replace both.

Also since you have not "fooled" with them; I'd disconnect the woofers and test them with a meter. They should both be 3.75 to 4.0 ohms, and should be very, very close.

That being said.... You should re-cap the CW's if you have not done so already. Once that's done, then any comparisons within the pairs, or between the pairs may not be valid.

On my CW's, I have replaced the old K-33's with BEC's CW1526's. Caps were redone during the rebuilds, and now all is matched.

[H]

The K-33's.... theoretically.... are more or less the same. The older square magnets had a different resonance frequency (as I was told...), and were supposedly more desirable.

If you replace one woofer, you should replace both.

Also since you have not "fooled" with them; I'd disconnect the woofers and test them with a meter. They should both be 3.75 to 4.0 ohms, and should be very, very close.

That being said.... You should re-cap the CW's if you have not done so already. Once that's done, then any comparisons within the pairs, or between the pairs may not be valid.

On my CW's, I have replaced the old K-33's with BEC's CW1526's. Caps were redone during the rebuilds, and now all is matched.

Cool

^ Interesting...

one pair already has C125's, the other still has 77's. is recapping that difficult?