HELP!--Missing coupling straps on my RF-3

mamacmil

I just purchased a used set of Reference 3s (RFs,RSs, and an RC). The speakers are in great shape, but I did notice a small problem, though. One of the RF-3s is missing the gold coupling straps on the binding posts. I'm not going to bi-wire so what can I do until I can get some replacements from Klipsch? Can I simply run a short length of speaker wire between the positives and another between the negatives? Any ideas would be a appreciated.

thats exactly what you do

just get some nice 12 gauge speaker cable and make your own straps

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

a lil tip from klipschouise, i just stripped enough wire to run the same piece thru the low & high posts on each side. thing is they say you're suppose to go to the high posts 1st but the way they have those posts angled it's virtually impossible to thread from top to bottom. so i went thru the low posts to the highs.

wouldn't sweat it. i couldn't even hear a dif using wire vs the gold jumpers let alone going from bottom to top. Smile.gif

it's all moot now since i got premade biwires for all my biwirable speaks. oh-oh, here we go. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-04-2002 at 06:11 PM

Do speakers really sound better bi-wired? Is there a difference in cheap speaker wire and that expensive wire thet sell off the spool at Home Depot? Is the moon really made of cheese? Does it ever rain in Indiana?

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Do speakers really sound better bi-wired?

Yes, probably they do. It al depends on the crossover of the speaker. Something like this can happen:

To current comming back from the woofer can have some influence on the network of the Tweeter. If you bi-wire the current from the woofer has to go back to the amplifier which has a much lower impedance. It is unlikely that the current goes back in the wire of the HF. The current for HF and LF takes a different path seen from the amp, so less influences.

Or better said "One of the problems with a standard crossover and a single-wire connection is that low frequency signals tend to swamp the more delicate treble stuff, especially in the return (or negative) connection back to the amp. By separating the signal all the way back to the amp's output stage, using two runs of cable or a purpose made four-core biwire cable, these effects can be reduced."

See also:

http://www.audioquest.com/theory/theory5.html

(do a search on Biwiring)

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Is there a difference in cheap speaker wire and that expensive wire thet sell off the spool at Home Depot?

Probably, it is al marketing.

FTP CAT 5 cable ~ kimber 4TC cable, in construction and sound.

I assume you all know the price diff!!!

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

deang-

Thanks for the reponse. I ran over to Tweeter, yesterday, and got a few six inch lengths of Monster XPHP speaker wire for free and used that. The guy at the store suggested that I do the same on both of the towers and the center, too, so that's why I got the 3 lenghts. Don't know whether it makes a difference or not, but it's done, and I'm loving my new Reference speakers!

• 9 years later...

Hey all,

It took 3 days to track this down, but you can get a set of gold coupling straps at www.partsexpress.com for 10$ plus shipping (it's actually a crossover that comes with 2 straps), the part name and number are highlighted below. These coupling straps are slightly larger than the ones that come originally from the factory, but they work fine and definitley much better than the old "jerry" rig method of running one speaker wire between binding posts...you can tell the difference. I absolutley LOVE these speakers (bought them when I was 20 and am 35 now) and will probably own them the rest of my life, barring something gets destroyed on them and can not be replaced.

Bi-Amp Speaker Terminal Gold Binding Post

Purchased on January 10, 2012

Part #: 260-281