Tube substitution EL84/6BQ5 for 7189A

mustang guy

I just purchased a Pioneer SX 800 receiver from a forum member, and when it got here, one of the tubes had wiggled out of the socket, and the top is broken. I looked at it, and it is an EL84/6BQ5, and it is supposed to be a 7189A. I understand the 7189A is kinda rare, and many amps are reworked to accept other tubes. Before I go buy a pair of EL84's, what should I look for? I turned on the receiver, and it powered up with only one speaker working, then the busted tube finally started blinking, so I turned it off real quick.

Where is the best place to get EL84 tubes? The ones I have are Sovtek's.

edit: I am a Tube Nube. Sorry, I couldn't help it.

the sovtek are probally 6BQ5 6N14N-EB, a good replacement for 7189a and 7591a (EL-84M) .

if you go straight el-84, one area of investigation is the plate voltage since the 7189A is really a hi voltage el-84. Not all straight el-84's can sub for 7189A's due to the plate voltage differences.

Where is the best place to get EL84 tubes? The ones I have are Sovtek's.

There are a number of places... I have used The Tube Depot and been satisfied with the service and availability.

http://www.tubedepot.com/

the sovtek are probally 6BQ5 6N14N-EB, a
good replacement for 7189a and 7591a (EL-84M) .

if you go straight el-84, one area of investigation is the plate voltage
since the 7189A is really a hi voltage el-84. Not all straight el-84's
can sub for 7189A's due to the plate voltage differences.

Everything I see on a 7591a show it is an octal, and not a nine pin.

Bruce

This receiver runs the output tubes very hard (i.e. plate voltage actually exceeds the design maximum value by a few volts). I'd definitely stay with the 7189A. NOS tubes can be quite costly, so check the specs of the replacements currently being manufactured to be sure that the rated plate voltage is around 440-450, with a plate dissipation of 13 or more watts.

I'm looking seriously at EL84M's. The 7189a's are pretty much extinct and thus overpriced where they are availible, and the M's are more durable than the regular EL84's. The thing came to me with regular EL84's, so maybe somebody lowered the plate voltage already. I can flip it over and try to figure out what it is. Any tips on measuring the plate voltage other than don't shock the crap out of yourself? :)

If you try the repair shop verify that the person who checks it is familiar with vintage tube type electronics. A possibly better alternative is to find a local ham radio club which is sure to have some "old timers" (like me!!!) who are very familiar with tube electronics and their associated high voltages. Hams are generally more than willing to help out anyone who asks, and the collective knowledge in many clubs is quite formidable!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh gosh, I forgot all about that. I put the EL84m's in, and it sounds beautiful. I suppose you can hold on to them, as the new tubes seem just fine. Perhaps there is another forum member faced with the same problem, and needs some 7189A's. And a matched quad no less.

Thanks, and sorry about that!