K33 or K33E in a bass reflex cabinet

Wrinkles

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/66260/648310.aspx#648310

There is also the thread above.

The overall problem, in my view, is that there have been different woofers made under the name of K-33. It seems to me that "K-33" and "K-33E" are not used strictly enough (in either case) to tell the exact T-S parameters of a given unit. It would be wonderful to have enough time and access to samples to make a survey.

A casual seller probably will not be able to tell you the T-S parameters of the unit he is selling unless he measures it. Similarly, you will know what you have unless you measure it.

I'm not a ported cabinet design guy. However, the makers of the Linear X testing and design equipment say that a woofer driver with a QTS of about 0.4 is optimal for a ported box, and one with a QTS of 0.7 is optimal for a sealed box. They say that there is a gross misunderstanding that if you know the T-S parameters of a woofer (Qts, Vas, Fs), you can use box design computer programs to make a box which makes it work well. Rather, stick with the suggestions for QTS in the applications.

Also per Linear X, if you use a driver with a Qts of 0.4, many of the alignments for ported boxes, are close to each other. There is an article by Don Deele about sensitivity of the designs to variations, but that is probably more than you want to get into.

The bottom line is that I believe modern K-33 types do have the 0.4 Qts. That is why they are used in Cornwalls So you're well served if you get those.

WMcD

T

Just for clarification ( I've been making bunches of typo errors myself, lately. )I think Don Keele (rather than spelled with a 'D') is the person to whom the abve response refers. BTW: when designing for sealed or vented, QTS can be a general guide with some room for variation. I have used drivers with TS parameters that suggested or pointed toward one alignment more than another, yet actually sounded better with the one less favored for that specific driver. Moreover, it's possible to experiment with resistive venting as an often very good compromise between one or the other.