ElectroVoice S15-3 3-Way Loudspeakers

Frzninvt

Thinking about picking up some EV S15-3 Pro Series speakers, they have specs like Heresy's and look like a mini Pro-Cornwall. The driver compliment seems great. I am planning on using them in place of my Heresy's as rear surrounds. Anyone familiar with them at all, they are from the mid-80's and seem very robust.

The price is certainly right at about $200/pr

Looks like a keeper to me.

ST-350b is basically a k-77 with a different lens.

the EVM15 ranks right up there with a k-43 cast frame and perhaps a little better in the mid range area.

The phase plug on the ST350 is better, and the magnet is twice as big.

Check the surrounds on the VMR midranges, they may need replacing.

"the EVM15 ranks right up there with a k-43 cast frame and perhaps a little better in the mid range area."

A moot point as the midrange crosses over quite low. The K43 has better bass, and longer x-max.

For $200 I would buy them and play with them for a while. If you didn't like them you could part them out and break even (or even make a little).

They are pretty stout IMO and seem to take EQ pretty well, though I don't use mine much.

They will be 'heavy' (~90lbs) by comparison, mostly due to the VMR imo. I was going to use some as guitar cabs at one point, but they are a little too much for that.

The corners will hurt your foot if you drop them on it.

There are probably better modern options in that regard,for PA use.

I have no basis for comparison with heresy's.

$200/pair is good, if in good shape. If beat, eh, depends on what is beat.

If they are VG cosmetically, I'd probably be a buyer at some point down the road. I do make it to southern vt now and then.

* Do make sure they are "S15-3". There are many models with similar numbers, that may or may not be physically similar (S-1503, S-1502 are not the same thing, etc.)

* One thing that has been reported about them, the metal grille are held in place in a 'slot'. (To remove them, you take off the top or bottom(?) trim piece/s, then slide the grille up, out of the 'slot').

As such, when in place, they are pressed forward, by foam bits, stuck at strategic points (e.g. the lips of the tweeter). The foam is dry rotted, so no longer presses, so the metal grille may rattle with use.

Expect to replace the foam bits so that this is not an issue. (or, just remove the grilles if that is feasible).

Assuming I've found the ones in question, they look a little rough to me. As if the back is cracked in on at least one, from some impact.

There was a guy down this way, selling a bunch of them for ~$100/ea., but being was evasive about details other than 'need work' type statements. Can't find the ad again, so I wonder if these are examples from that larger set.

Their condition was listed as very good. They did not look beat in the photo but the photo was of the same speaker for both. I put a 10% deposit on them and they are shipping to the local store in my area so that I can look at them first hand.

They will serve as my rear surround effects speakers along with my Cornwall rears and trio of La Scala's up front. If they pan out they will be replacing my Cherry Lacquer Heresy's currently in that role. My amp is a Sherboun 7/2100A true 7-channel mono block providing 7 x 200W so they will get enough power to get loud.

My only other dilemma is finding 1/4" male to banana plug female or bare wire that I can solder leads to in order to connect them. I will inspect them in the store and thanks to DJK and yourself I know what to look for. They look exactly like the speakers in the user manual that I attached. I am hoping to get a call this weekend since they just had to travel from NH to VT but it's on their dime so it could be a week.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Excellent, seems they are probably a different pair than the ones I came across.

I make my own, using whatever double bananas from PE or Radio Shack. PE also has jumbo 1/4" plugs.

They are a bit more roomy, thus more easilly reassembled than standard ones. I see something called 'megafoot' there now, which is probably what I have/am referring to.

If backing them up to a wall is the plan, then you might want to go with one of the right angle plugs though.

I've seen 1/4" inputs maligned as less than ideal for higher power applications. I don't have any particular opinion (other than, that redundance might assuage connection issues caused by a dirty/loose jack).

To that end I've considered consider making a hard wired double headed one, in order to utilize both jacks as inputs.

I think I have a pic somewhere. Will look tonight.

Backs are not removeable, so you will have to go in through the woofer, and of course it's not a straight shot through the center of the hole, so may be fiddley to do if a less than ideal work area.

I had a similar thought, but that, and/or that I didn't want to muck up the XO stopped me. Pic will tell more.

The phase plug on the ST350 is better, and the magnet is twice as big.

Check the surrounds on the VMR midranges, they may need replacing.

"the EVM15 ranks right up there with a k-43 cast frame and perhaps a little better in the mid range area."

A moot point as the midrange crosses over quite low. The K43 has better bass, and longer x-max.

For $200 I would buy them and play with them for a while. If you didn't like them you could part them out and break even (or even make a little).

yes...and the four screws are longer if it is the ST350b model and the 3 screws are longer if it's the ST350A model

That's a pretty cheap looking crossover, I may build a new one with better components if the speakers are in the condition that I am hoping. Looks like the cheesey crossover Klipsch used in the Cornwall II. Looks likes some resistors on that plate off to the side probably to protect the midrange and tweeter from overload.

Thanks for the pic!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it turns aout after waiting for about 5 days, stopping in the local store once that they were not actually in inventory or so they say. They were on Daddy's Junky Music website and they have a local store in Williston, VT. They were listed as being in Manchester, NH.

This is the second time they have had some excuse or story. They screwed me out of a pair of Heresy HIP's a few years ago, they were in Maine I offered to pay for them in advance. They said they would ship them to my local store and ended up selling them out from under me. They were prompt to refund my deposit though.

Have not had very good luck with them at all. My 1980 Cherry Lacquer Heresy's will continue to serve in their rear center/effects role which they perform admirably.

I was hoping to give the EV's a try as I have always been fond of them, heard the Eliminators in a club in Germany in the mid-80's and loved them. They were running them with a Phase Linear amp and they rocked the place.

• 4 weeks later...