Opinions on this Pioneer HT Receiver

Rivernuggets

Here it is from Pioneer's website. Here is the PDF sheet.

My brother sent me an email earlier today that he found this model for $150 on Woot.com, and asked what I thought. I haven't looked at receivers/processors since buying my UMC-1 last October. My initial reaction is there are many goodies there for $150. I told him that they're playing numbers with the wattage on the Pioneer site and it will be under 80 watts x 5 at 20Hz-20kHz when playing movies.

His main issue, in his words, is 'future-proof'. I said receivers are becoming more like computers all the time and at $150 it would be fairly future proof if he can get at least 2 years life out of it. He really enjoys movies and music, I'd say a 50/50 split right down the middle.

I'm tempted to talk up seperates, but I think he's more of an all-in-one kind of guy for now. Speaking of that, I have to ask what he's using for speakers.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this Pioneer?

Bluetooth is a wireless between 2 devices, like an iPhone and a head unit in your car. It allows you to make phone calls, play music and other things without having any wires connected.

Streaming can be done by bluetooth, but streaming in a home environment is usually done by wifi. Wifi and network cable are peers. They are basically a wireless and a wired version of a network.

I didn't look at the specs on the above receiver, but if it is wifi, that would be a good thing. If it is not, all is not lost. It simply means you connect a wifi device to it via the ethernet connection or HDMI depending on its abilities.

I don't know if this receiver has AirPlay, but even if it doesn't, you can hook up a device through HDMI that does, and you are good to go. An example is Apple TV.

I had a VSX-1019-AH and was very pleased with it. It was $499 new. As far as this receivers processing compared to it, it looks newer and stronger. I only switched for the pre outs and Audyssey software (xt32). No issues, loved the GUI.

The VSX-1021-K is the current replacement for that unit. It does have extremely good streaming features. Far superior to the 521. I like the iPad/iPhone interactions. You can actually use them as a remote control or a music server.

The shortcomings are numerous but it's still a great deal.It has a weak amp, no preouts, crude video set up, no network, no updating, hard to believe it would sound very good compared to a $1k avr used for $300, 8 channel inputs? ,no zone two amps, even capable? Cheap components are not generally musical and a long list.....

It's still better than most people have and great bang for the buck if you're not critical.