KLH model 9 speakers

davis419b

Does anyony have any experience with these. I went tonight and looked at a set to buy but was not impressed. All of the reveiws I read stated that they were awesome in the mids and highs but wouldnt go below 55hz. They sounded like they had a blanket over them. I really feel like these should sound better but the seller was using a Kenwood avr receiver and I think that might be holding them back. Any help would be appreciated !

the seller was using a Kenwood avr receiver and I think that might be holding them back.

I don't believe that they'd present an awful load to an amplifier; AFAIK, they were specified to be 16 ohm speakers, and they weren't designed for high power handling. Of course, depending on the quality of the Kenwood, it may not be ideal circumstances all the same.

In any case, we're talking about an electrostat speaker that is ~40 years old. I'm unsure how age treats the panels themselves, but the crossover network itself is more than likely in need of replacement at a minimum.