Is anyone aware of an Audiophile Dictionary ???

crd97086

If you read as many audio reviews and posts as I do, perhaps you become frustrated at times with the nebulous wording that is used. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a good dictionary for the many adjectives that are used in reviews. I don't appreciate having to guess what a person truly means by a term, I don't find any value in guessing what a person 'may' mean. I want to know exactly what they are talking about. This hobby is based on alot of nebulous talk. It would be fantastic, if not required in my mind, to be able to have a 'Standard' use of the common adjectives that are thrown about in this wonderful hobby of ours. If anyone is aware of any that have been written, I would appreciate being made of aware of them. I have 'googled' this, but to no avail. Thanks.

I don't find any value in guessing what a person 'may' mean. I want to know exactly what they are talking about.

It may be impossible to make that determination since I fear many of them do not know what they are talking about themselves.

This hobby is based on alot of nebulous talk

Been reading those cable ads, eh?

Most of these audiophool descriptions do not appear to be science-based but are opinions based on sensory impressions. Saying a particular component causes the resulting sound to have "air" could mean several things. Saying that a particular component causes a rising response above 10 kHz is specific and can lead to suggestions on how one might control that effect. Pace, Rythm, Attack, and Timing (PRAT) seem to be BS descriptions. Pace? They make pretty good salsa.

Dave,

You're beginning to sound like someone that has ridden the revolving glass door around more than once...[:|]

Actually, one of the suggestions that I've seen before is a series of FAQ articles to be pinned on each of the sub-forums. This would be but one of those questions answered in one of those FAQs.

Chris