Blown Woofers?

Mokshaq

I have a pair of Tangent 500's, and one of the woofers may be in need of replacement. My son dented the dust cap a number of years ago, and now when I play certain levels of bass, there is a rattling sound emminating from that speaker. An audiophile friend of mine, suggested that perhaps the coil behind the dustcap was in some way damaged, and that I would need to replace both woofers to keep the sound consistent from one speaker to another.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have seen posted that the cabinets for the Tangents are not big enough. I work at a Abrasive WaterJet cutting facility, and can easily cut and replace the cabinets, does anyone have any good info on what kind of design would be optimal?

Thanks much, Ya'll Rock the house...

First of all welcome to the forum this is a great place and you will find all the support you will ever need from the members here.

Chances are all that has happened is that you have now got a loose
dust cap and what you are hearing is that jumping around at level. You
can easily check to see with some strong light your glasses and an
exacto knife if the dust cap is loose from the cone anywhere. If you
find that it is a tooth pick and n even bead of white wood glue will
solve your problem perminently. If that is not the case make surethat everything is screwed down tight including the terminal cup. If you still have issues swap both of the woofers from one cabinet to the other to see if the problem follows the woofer you think has the problem. If the problem noise follows the woofer you might take it to a good rebuild shop in your area and have them check it out for you. Get back to us with the results.

As to new woofer cabinets below is a possible design check it out. Best regards Moray James.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id76.html

Was the dust cap dented in? Was it torn? After checking the above I would put some rope cault around the connection between the cone and dust cap and then listen for rattle. If that elminates rattle then you have a loose dustcap and you need to reseal it. Can use Aileene's tacky glue or elmers. You could also remove dust cap and replace with same size (make sure you can get same size before cutting our with exacto knife. If you need a 4.5" dc with Klipsch logo let me know. Thanks.

Personally I would bypass the rope calk suggestion not because it does not make sense because it does but rope caulk uses an oil to keep it plastic and why chance getting oil on the joint or contact surface area? Just see if the dust cap lifts anywhere and if so lift it off with an exacto knife or similar tool then reglue the cap with white glue and you are good as new. You can listen to the driver in the cabinet with the dust cap removed to make sure the cap was in fact causing the noise. If you still have noise with the dust cap removed you may well be in need of a rebuild. Just make sure the noise is in fact the driver before you send it off for a new cone. Best regards Moray James.

Or... the cabinets for the Tabgents aren't glued together very well, and may just need to be glued back together. If you pull out the woofer, check all the seams one the cabinet from the inside. People have used various methods to get them to stay together. You could put a bead of construction adhesive around the inside joints of the cabinet; put some thinned epoxy in the gaps, etc. Just don't glue the drivers to the baffle, lol.

And welcome...

Bruce