Class A valve buffer design?

killer clown

Thanks for the input .I am researching the concept of the buffer.I have made no final decision and may not even experiment with it.If I do try it I would like to use quality parts and a known design.If I do not like it I could probably sell it for the investment to someone.How about some designs with arguements for or against a design.Thanks.K.C.

There are all kinds of designs which have been used for vacuum tube buffers. However, as Erik pointed out, everything that is introduced into the signal chain has the potential to degrade, not improve the sound. Back in the 80s, passive line stages were quite popular because many believed that every component, solder joint, plug, jack, etc. in the signal path has the potential to decrease sound quality. And there is merit to that belief. If you build/use a buffer you will be introducing additional power supply hum (even with the stiffest designs, if AC operated, there will be some degree of ripple which is passed through), tube noise, microphonics to some degree, and so on. Then there's the issue of an additional set of interconnects which can possibly alter the resultant sound. Given how high the input impedance of your preamp is, there is really no need to bother with a buffer, as I mentioned previously. Your best bet is to find someone who can bring one over, or loan you one, so you can try it without spending any money. I seriously doubt that you will find that it improves the sound at all!

I would like to try one that is clean, to go after my tube pre, a JMA Merlin, feeding a lower input impedance SS amp. I lose too much bass going from the higher output impedance of the Merlin into a lower input z on the SS amp.

I noticed most of these buffers use lower voltages, i.e., starved plate, starved heaters, etc., which are normally used for guitar effects.

Bruce

I would like to try one that is clean, to go after my tube pre, a JMA Merlin, feeding a lower input impedance SS amp. I lose too much bass going from the higher output impedance of the Merlin into a lower input z on the SS amp.

I noticed most of these buffers use lower voltages, i.e., starved plate, starved heaters, etc., which are normally used for guitar effects.

Bruce

Since you're interested in starved circuit applications, you may find this article informative:

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/Triodes_at_low_voltages_Blencowe.pdf

Since you're interested in starved circuit applications, you may find this article informative:

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/Triodes_at_low_voltages_Blencowe.pdf

I'm not particularly interested. It's just that most of the litle tube mic preamps, phono preamps (like those by ART), use a combination SS and tube, and are mostly starved circuits.

Glad you guys enjoyed the article. Another really interesting area to explore is the use of space charge tubes which were actually designed to work with very low plate voltages. Check this out also:

http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/lowvoltagetubes.shtml

For me, the bottom line is that tubes are truly amazing devices which I'll never get tired of!!!

At least you aren't all the way to Memphis... [;)] I lived there for a few years.

The Tube Depot in Memphis has some tube amp kits, and good tube selections and service. They're outside the 40/240 circle, so it might be fairly easy to get to visit them to get some ideas.

Bruce