Saving Private Ryan... DD or DTS?

chuckears

I was going to pick this up on DVD, but was faced with two different versions... my experience with choosing between the two formats on the same disc usually comes down to the Dolby Digital version; primarily because I seem to get better subwoofer response as opposed to the DTS versions.

Has anyone compared the two with this film?

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

A big-*** HDTV

Well, usually DTS sounds better than Dolby Digital.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Yep, this movie is on my priority list of must buys. And for the softer side of the m00n, I also want Titanic. cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 05-08-2002 at 02:42 PM

Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

KAiN64,

"Better sound" is a pretty vague concept. I will agree that, with DTS, I have noticed better dynamics and clarity. However, I have also noticed (as I indicated) that the bass output does not seem to be as significant as with the Dolby Digital. Even turning up the subwoofer gain on both my sub amp and my receiver, I don't get the "punch" that I do on DD.

Has anyone else noticed this, or do I have a problem with my DTS decoding or my set-up?

DTS sounds better to my ears. It has louder and more prominent rear surround. The sub is fine for me, i havn't really compared DD and DTS though.

------------------

~You laugh because im diffrent,i laugh because your ugly~

GreenDay Rules!

"Im a newbie at anything physical,but i can talk alot"-Me

"I don't know why i visit these boards,i don't even own the promedias."

"You will see more quotes by me"

"Like this one"

"Pushy little children, with their fully automatics, they like to push the weak around!"- System Of A Down

"Drink Redkabul, we get our water from other bottles of water, we can't make our own because our country is dirty and disgusting."- kid in my class

"Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then its a scavenger hunt."

"Its not the pollution thats killing the oceans and trees, its the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." -Former gov't guy

eh, you only really hear the difference at the frequential ectremes. DTS has lower compression rate. its like an MP3 compared to a CD. the MP3 ounds great, and only on the higs and lows is it really muffled. and there is less clarity. to me, they are essentially the same, and i only hear the difference when its loud, and im looking for it. but, when your watching a movie, your WATCHING it, not analyzing the sound. I have the DTS version of the DVD, btw. it sounds fanstastic

------------------

DONT PM ME! i dont check em if you have any questions

email me @: skpathak24@socal.rr.com

IM me @: Strategerie270

Screw you, Action! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned both, but never at the same time. I bought the DD and then realized I could've gotten DTS, so I sold my DD version and bought the DTS. It sounds great!!! I only watched the DD for demo, never sat down and watched the whole movie, but when I sat down and watched the DTS version, not really thinking about sound, just WATCHING, I found myself several times saying, "Man, the sound quality on this disc is awesome!" I always use it as a demo when people come over. Can't help you with the sub question, but you could not accuse this movie, DTS or not, of being weak on Bass. I always recommend this movie, DTS version, to people who are new to surround sound. I have never heard a case, on any movie, where Dolby sounds better than DTS.

Moon, I would wait on the Titanic disc until they come out with a special edition. Hopefully with DTS, and most importantly Anamorphic Widescreen. The version that is out now is letterbox, looks like crap. And if you're into special features, I can only imagine what kind of stuff they could put on the disc. You would think, the highest grossing movie of all time, they could come out with a decent DVD.

------------------

My Home Theater