Forte's

capn kurt

They could be either since to me it looks like they were made about the time Klipsch changed from forte to forte II. An easier way is to look at the mid range horn. Is it a thinner exponential or a taller more boxy tractrix?. Another way to tell is the connection at the back is usually square for the II's and round for the I's. The passive radiator on the back will be a 12 inch for the I and 15 inch for the II. So you can see it should be easy to tell which is which. Of course the model should be plain as day on the sticker with the serial number, but it's possible it has been damaged.

So you got a nice set of Forte! Great and welcome to the fould. Once you decide where they sound good in your room get a couple of one gallon paint cans. Place one under each speaker on the bottom of the cabinet so not on the riser. This will raise the horns to ear level when you are seated and let you hear the horns as they shoud be heard. Then decide how much scratch you have to spare for upgrades and save if you have to the Forte are well worth investing in some upgrades on to make them better than new. First you might want to replace the paint cans with some nice solid four post stands. Then you should consider new Titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites at $30.00 each then new crossover caps from Bob then new Klipsch Titanium mid diaphragms. That will transform your speakers. If you want more there is more but you will have to spend more so start small and work your way up. These could easily be the last set of speakers that you will ever own. Best regards Moray James.