Forte II vs. LaScala

wuzzzer

The highs have never seemed a problem to me. I know how Klipsch are a tweakers dream but....I'm not sure I get the upgraded highs comments. If anything update the crossover and enjoy. Everytime someone comes in with "I just got some fortes" people chime in with "now do this that and the other thing!" I'm not convinced of that necessity.

I'm not sure if titanium was available or cost effective for tweeter diaphragms for the years that the Fortes were in production, but with most of the modern Klipsch speakers utilizing titanium I have to think that there are good reasons for them now doing so. To my ears the titanium diaphragms added a tremendous amount of detail to the upper end while smoothing it out at the same time. I did enjoy my Fortes for a few years before making the changes that I did. It did help me appreciate the changes in sound.

I would like to try out Klipsch's titanium midranges some day.

I should point out that when I "tweaked" my Fortes (about 5 yrs ago?) I swapped the crossovers and tweeter diaphrams at the same time. I suppose this is going against all upgrade commandments. Nevertheless, the improvements were immediate and obvious. Was it 80% xover/20% diaphrams? 90%/10%? Who knows.

Then, very recently, (a month ago?) I did the same thing to my new-to-me La Scalas, Xovers and CT125s at the same time. Of course, with this one, I had to change at the same time as I went with the 4500 xovers. At any rate, there was an immediate difference. I say difference because at first I thought the highs had been muted somewhat. Now after weeks of listening, I really believe now the tweeters don't draw attention to themselves like originally. Like everything is more even now, instead of saying, "wow, listen to those tweeters" like it was with the originals.

None of this was necessary, I totally agree. But it sure was (and is) fun!