Klipschorn Questions?

Hello all,

I'm new to this BB, but now that I've finally bought a pair of K-horns, I'll be on daily. Actually, I haven't bought them yet, I'm leaving tonight to pick them up; 10 hour drive each way, ugh! I do have a couple of questions of course. This pair I was told was made in '84. The serial#'s aren't quite consecutive. ****160 & ****162. Any ideas on how they might have been mismatched? Also, prior to buying these I was going to attempt to build my own. I have a pair of new K-33E woofers; should I swap them out? I also have a pair of type AA crossovers, a pair of K55V w/ K400 horns, and K-77 tweets that I will be selling. What crossover was used in '84 and should I change it? Thanks in advance for any info.

I would hold off on making any changes to anything...at least until you get the k-horns and see if they even need anything. Generally, you are better off leaving them stock for the year in which they were made.

A good idea may be to change the crossover networks out to some ALK's, but if your crossovers are good you can hold off on that. AL does great work and he has to charge accordingly...which means that if you are strapped for cash, like me, you may have to make do with the stock crossovers for awhile, if you intend to change them out at all.

If the drivers in the k-horns are in good shape and matched, then I would just leave them alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

Alot of pairs of k-horns don't have consecutive numbers....sometimes two or three pairs were built up with identical matching veneers...so it didn't make any difference which two ended up being sold as a pair....it was a call made in final assembly/shipping as to how they were shipped as pairs, once they were matched to each other there.

Hope this answers some of your questions for right now.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Welcome on board!

I would swap the woofers if I were you, since they sometimes have a hard life... they're robust enough, tough. But since you have two new, use them!

For the rest, I would if I were you try to put the other components in one of your k-horns so you'll be able to decide wich one sounds best for you!

I only know the older version with AA / K55V but as long as the tweeter is concerned I like the k77M better than the older k77. In fact is depends of the amp you're using; the k77 isn't as loud as the k77M and could be useful if you find the sound too bright.

Have fun!

Frans