RF-82 ii front speakers and bi-amping

ctroys12

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! My setup is as follows:2 RF-82 ii fronts, RC-62 ii center, Denon AVR-1912, PS3, Panasonic 65GT30, Subwoofer (yet to purchase, need advice.

How much benefit will I get from bi-amping the RF-82 ii's? And is it
difficult and worth the time? Are there any disadvantages, like
poteential to blow a speaker? Here are specs on my Denon:Surround System Class 7.1 channel, Response Bandwidth 10 - 100000 Hz, Signal-To-Noise Ratio 100 dB, Input Impedance 47 KOhm,Input Sensitivity 200 mV ,Amplifier Output Details 90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround ),125 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.7 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround)

Also, does a powered subwoofer drain power from the Denon? Any suggestions between the SW-310 for $500 (reg $1050) 400W cont/900W peak vs. something smaller like a Velodyne Impact-12, $319, 165 Watt cont./275W peak? Are either grossly over or under powered for blending with my system?I've got vaulted ceilings and a lot of space to fill, but I am also in a townhouse...Thanks in advance.

Firstly, although I haven't bi-amped my speakers I would suggest going into your local home theater store, (not a best buy, etc) and get a good amp JUST TO TEST, do not buy it if they dont have a return policy. Hook it up and see for your self if you hear a major difference. If you don't think it's worth the money, return it.

A powered subwoofer will NOT drain any power from your reciever.

And I would suggest looking into one of the "id" subwoofer brands such as epik,hsu,svs, etc. Klipsch subs are known for being overpriced. I personally have all klipsch subs but thats only because i got them for VERY good prices. Go on craigslist/kijiji and look at used subs for a great deal too. that impact-12 is below your system, I reccommend a much better sub.

Welcome to the Forum,

From my own experience, bi-amping my 7's has produced marked improvements. A taming of the horns if you will. Currently, I am running the drivers of my RF-7's with a 250 wpc Yamaha M-80, the 7's love power and this really sends the huge punch I was looking for. Before bi-amping the the horns were very bright and ear piercing. With the addition of a small Rotel 50 wpc amp to run the horns (bi-amped) this brightness was eliminated. I believe the RF-82 has similar characteristics and would benefit as well to such application.

As far as your choice of subs, I originally was running 2 Velodyne Impact 12's. Note, you get what you pay for... The Impacts do their job but are certainly lacking in the "earth moving" department. I upgraded to the Paradigm PS-2200's. Ground shaking improvement. I would suggest you find as high quality and powerful sub as you can afford. The thoughts of the extra dollars will melt away after your first session :)

I hope this at least gives you something to think about. I think the most important thing to remember is to just have fun with it.

Again, welcome to the Forum and your new hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt-

Are you passive bi-amping and if so, how do you adjust the levels between the horn and the woofers? You can see my equipment listed below. I have tried everything to tame my RF-7s. I just spent $3,000 modifying my $, 1000 player and it sounds wonderful except the horns still hurt my ears. I would like to try my tube amp on the horns and my SS amp on the woofers but I need to find a way to balance the two because my outlaw is much hotter than the tube amp. I have to find a way to lower the SS amp. I really dont want another preamp in the chain if I can help it. Thanks for any advice!

Hi ....

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I too have a pair of Rf-82's that i had hooked up to an Onkyo Ht-Rc 370. I bi-wired them and found a noticeable difference (positive)...seemed the highs and lows were "separated" and "clearer" sounding... I've since added a Yamaha m-85 amp and I'm now getting ready to move out of the house ! (wife, neighbors and the dog now hate me !) I'd try it, or at least try bi-wiring....

• 2 weeks later...

i to have noticed a diffrence in the sound of my rf62s when biwired.I know that is differnt from biamped but just the same there was truely an audable differance.I am using a marantz sr6005 with audioquest type 4 cable to the tweets and cheap monster cable to the woofers,cd is a marantz cd5003 with audioquest interconnects ,sounds fantastic.