Need advice on a tube amp please!!!

kenny36

I have tried a variety of amps with my K-horn and La Scala speakers. My 300B Grant Fidelity sounds absolutely superb, but I recent acquired a little Sophia Electric Baby that I am using with my La Scalas. The price was quite reasonable, $400 in mint condition, used off A-gon. The sound is quite good and for such a little tube amp the bass is very good as well, better than many bigger more powerful amps I have tried. It wont blow you out of the room, but at least for me that is ok. But, If you can afford Mcintosh stuff you might want to try a good 300B amp, it is by far the best sounding amp I have heard paired with the big Klipsch.

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have provided more information. Answer to questions: Budget around $8000 - Listening level, medium - Type of music, wide variety, anything from Frank Sinatra to Led Zeppelin to jazz. - Room, 400 square feet. I'm not sure how much power I need since I've never owned a tube amp.

With LaScalas in a room of that size, and medium listening levels, you don't need much power at all. In fact, 2 or 3 watts/channel would probably be more than enough. While your budget puts you in the zone of some extremely fine tube equipment, it really isn't necessary to spend more than a fraction of that to achieve amazing sound. You need to decide whether you want an integrated amp or separates and check out the various offerings. Where are you located? The best thing is to locate some folks who can bring over a variety of tube amps for you to audition in your own system. Check out the offerings from companies like Decware (www.decware.com). They allow you a 30 day return privelege with a small restocking fee iirc. Prima Luna also has some great amps at far less than your budget. Use the money you save to buy yourself some other "toys!"

Check out the offerings from companies like Decware

Their Torii just got a gushing review from Tone Audio. Reviewer bought the review sample. 25 watts, with claimed SET like personality. Well under budget. Sounds very interesting, particularly with the 30 day return policy. Extended in home auditions can't be beat.

I have done thre A-B-A between MC-240 and VRDs. The MC is the best on vocals but not by much. VRDs win everything else, especialy the bass by a large margin. When I want the MC sound in my VRDs I just through in Mullards in the 12AX7 slot and that gets real close to MC sound. Or I could just hook up the MC-240 but it has been over two years since I have felt the newd to do that.