Pre/pro guidance

XxCowboyxX

I can't decide what I should upgrade to. I really am not liking the YPAO on my Yamaha v667 receiver. I have an xpa-5 so gobs of power isn't really an issue. I really want at least a 7.1 with the xt32 EQ system in it. But would it be worth it? What other options do I have as far as pre/pro do I have? I need something with power because my 2 rears are running off the receiver.

I can't decide what I should upgrade to. I really am not liking the YPAO on my Yamaha v667 receiver. I have an xpa-5 so gobs of power isn't really an issue. I really want at least a 7.1 with the xt32 EQ system in it. But would it be worth it? What other options do I have as far as pre/pro do I have? I need something with power because my 2 rears are running off the receiver.

You could get an XPA-2 and drive the mains. That way you could get a preamp. I REALLY like my Integra DHC-80.3 preamp. It literally does everything!

XxCowboyxX,

What kind of budget are we talking about?

I really want at least a 7.1 with the xt32 EQ system in it. But would it be worth it? What other options do I have as far as pre/pro do I have? I need something with power because my 2 rears are running off the receiver.

Plenty of very good choices of high end receivers out there but in order to get the Audyssey MultEQ XT32, you need at least $2000.00.

Plenty of very good offerings from Onkyo amd Marantz that have Audyssey's top EQ before XT32 came along, MultEQ XT.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR5008/Onkyo-TX-NR5008-THX-Ultra2-Certified-9.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR3008/Onkyo-TX-NR3008-THX-Ultra2-Certified-9.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR7005A/MARANTZ-SR7005-3D-Ready-7.1-Home-Theater-Networking-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Is there really THAT much of a gain from xt to 32 to warrant the higher price tag? Budget isn't a big deal but money spent on something that isn't in your face difference seems kind of a waste. Just want a really nice audessey system that will do a good job of eq'ing my system including my subwoofer. Ypao is a joke.

I would agree with getting an XPA-2 for your front mains and using the XPA-5 for the rest. Then pick up a good used processor, this will be perfect 7.1 and you will love what the XPA-2 does for 2 channel music, also your surrounds will be much better mated.

I picked up my Onkyo PR SC885 processor used but just like new for only $600.00 a year ago and I absolutely love it! Together with my XPA-2 and XPA-5 it is excellent for both HT and 2 channel music.

I see very little in the newer processors worth upgrading or paying the extra for at this time when there is so much offered in great used models right now.