KF-28 distortion

dandlewood

Hey guys, I was wondering whether you could help me out. I just bought two KF-28's and a polk sub at bestbuy this weekend. I hooked everything up to my panasonic receiver. In order to get the audio to sound remotely correct, I had to set the KF 28's to small and set the crossover frequency to 80. Even with this setup, certain songs still give me a bit of 'fuzz' (Andrea Bocelli, Voce del Silenzio/Beatles, A Day in the Life/ Led Zeppelin, Immigrant song). Any idea why I can't get the right sound with my speakers set to large, and why I'm getting fuzz/distortion on these songs?

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
35Hz-23KHz ± 3dB

I listen between 40-60, depending on what I'm doing. I'm hearing the distortion irrespective of volume. speakers set to small, crossover set to 80.

By the way, There are two knobs on my polk sub, one for frequency and one for volume. I have volume set to about 50% and frequency is set to ~80.

The sub sounds fine, it's just the speakers that are giving me some grief. These things are HUGE, I'd hate to have to return them.

I would double check your wiring, plus make sure you are using the right size wire(#16 or better) of equal lengths(or close ± 2"). May sound stupid, but I wired one of my speakers with reverse polarity when I first set them up[:|], definitely messes things up.

Second, what is the source of your music? If the source is not clean, the sound will not be clean either. I have this problem as lots of my music are mp3s. They don't always sound great, and there are a couple I can not listen to on my RF 82s, but can listen just fine on my iPhone or with headphones.

Outside of those two things I'm not sure. Maybe someone else has something to add.

well, I'm listening from my computer, so that could be the problem. The songs sounded fine on my old speakers, though. I'll double check the wiring, but I'm using 16 guage with banana clips, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. On a side note, I found that if I listen using Itunes, the distortion goes away, but the sound also seems to lose a bit of its fullness.

What receiver are you using to power them? You certainly shouldn't be getting the type of distortion you are describing. How is your computer hooked up to your receiver? Have you tried a CD? My first guess is that you have an issue with your set-up/connections between your music source and receiver. Klipsch speakers are very sensative and they will quickly expose any weak links in your system.

I would double check your wiring, plus make sure you are using the right size wire(#16 or better) of equal lengths(or close ± 2").

You dont have to keep your wiring equal distances. For most people, this is impossible. If that was the case, we would all have problems.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

Thanks for the info nefzz. I didn't think it would be a huge issue, but when I put in my cables I just cut them the same length. Never researched it much beyond that point. But a side note is that if the cable is undersized, say 18 or 20, then the differences in length could play a larger role. I think back to when I bought a pos HTIB in college. I had 40ft runs of 22 wire to the rear speakers. They never did work and I never knew why...

well of course. using teeny tiny wire, the resistance will be greater. You dont really have to ever worry about keeping distances the same unless you are running long runs which are different. Like one that is 75 foot and the other 10 foot. You could use something like 10 gauge on the long distance to cut down on the resistance.

Sorry for the late reply, yesterday was crazy for me. Here's my set up:

VSX-921-K receiver (meant Pioneer, not Panasonic)

KF-28 x2, about 3-4 feet away from the receiver, connected with 16 guage wire and banana plugs

Polk PSW110 sub connected via analog cable

Music source is from my PC which is 3.5mm to rca, then RCA to the receiver

TV has an optical out from TV into receiver. everything is plugged into the TV

I don't have a CD with those particular songs on it and I also don't have a cd player hooked up to my system at the moment.

Since you are using a 3.5 mini to RCA from the PC to your AVR, your computer is doing all of the processing. That would be my bet as to the problem. You need to run a digital to digital source from your PC to the receiver, I.e. digital coax or TosLink. After that, the quality of your material will be the next biggest problem...if they are MP3 files, they are bound to have some SQ issues due to the compression.