Moving up to K-horns

Dr Morbius

Hi,

I've asked you guys questions before about room sizes for Cornwalls and got great feedback - (the good kind, not the bad kind-lol). So after a bit of back and forth with the wife, in the house I'm planning to build - the dedicated 2 channel room went from a bad 12'x12' by 8 foot high to 12'x15' by 9 foot high. Now, thanks to LarryC's photo of his Klipschorn's in his white room, my wife likes the look of his K-horns set in the corners and has given her ok for getting them over the Cornwalls. I'm a lucky guy! My questions are - Would going to K-horns mean 10 foot ceilings be better than 9 foot, or is staying with 9 foot ok? And how about placement - would there be much difference in sonics setting them up against the 12 foot wall as compared to setting them up against the 15 foot wall? I will be using an H H Scott 299C ( newly refurbished ) to power them so I'm thinking they should sound fairly awesome.

Thanks for all your help, really!!!

Steve

Would going to K-horns mean 10 foot ceilings be better than 9 foot, or is staying with 9 foot ok?

The 9' ceiling probably works almost as well as 10' if you do a little with some acoustic room treatment, depending on the sound that you like to hear.

And how about placement - would there be much difference in sonics setting them up against the 12 foot wall as compared to setting them up against the 15 foot wall?

There are trades going either way: sitting a little further back sounds good with Khorns (i.e., placing them on the 12' wall and sitting back on the 15' dimension), but having the speakers a bit wider on a 15 wall probably sounds even better. Your choice. They'll sound amazing.

Chris

In my experience the longer wall will make a greater difference than ceiling height (within reason). It is also important with k-horns to keep the area in front of them open though for the imaging to work well. Mine lived for years in my music studio and one music stand out in the room would mess things up, so keep that in mind as far as furniture placement.

It is also important with k-horns to keep the area in front of them open though for the imaging to work well.

See http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/154887.aspx for a discussion on corner-horn room acoustics, imaging, and other stuff to consider.

Chris