DACs

The Dude

So for some time now I have tring to figure out why I can't download the driver to my Behringer fca202, come to find out the driver is for windows 7 32 bit not 64 bit. So I got to looking at my computer, and turns out it has a optical audio out. I know some say dac from the cumputer aren't worth it because of the clockng of the computer to the dacs don't match up I don't know mutch about this kind of stuff, but its all ways kept me away from this kind of setup. Now I am looking for some what of a simple set up so would it be worth it to try. Is there any reasonably priced dacs out there.

thanks

That stinks they don't support windows 7 64 bit yet. You might check to see if there is a beta version available for the driver. I don't know about Behringer, but lots of companies are looking for alpha and beta testers, so contacting support may get something that will work for the time being. I don't know much about stand alone DACS, but I am sure there are people here who do. Good luck.

Well....the noise of a computer...espeacially the hard drive...is the biggest problem I can sense.

Are you saying this because these items make a physical noise that will be delivered through the sound card/optic output. Or is this some sort of weird computer talk.

What would you recommend, sound card with just a RCA output. What good is the optic out put for (hooking up to my 5.1 receiver for movies).

Keep in mind when I am streaming music from my comp to my receiver I mainly looking for convince to my collection of music for party's and what not. If I want quality I go to vinyl a lot easier and sounds better.

For about 8.00$ I can order a toshlink or optical cable from monoprice and run it directly to my receiver and see how this sounds.

From what I have been reading using a optical cable is not the best. This website I was reading was recommending a good dac with usb 2.0 this seems to be the best for music since it does the best clocking or master clocking.

Actually, there are several threads that say to use firewire to avoid clocking issues.

If it's for parties and such, the $8 solution will work great! Look no further!

I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference in any case as I use my AVR to listen to stereo music as well as for HT duties, so that tells you where I'm coming from. But here,s what I do: I use three sounds cards on my computer. The internal card deals with normal PC audio connected to desktop speakers. A Behringher USB sound card with stereo RCA outputs feeds a receiver with A and B speakers for living room and kitcheen, getting its input from a software player, and a third internal PCI sound card has RCA digital output, connected downstairs to the HT system and Klipschorns.This one is fed from XBMC, a media server that I can control remotely using a laptop or my phone. It sounds identical to me to my Rotel RCD-02 using analog inputs (caveat: not high-end by any means), and I have since switched to using bass management and a sub for my Klipschorns now anyway so couldn't make effective use of an external DAC. I guess nobody using DACs use subwoofers for music?

Actually, there are several threads that say to use firewire to avoid clocking issues.

I was talking about using a optical cable, my Behringer fca 202 was a firewire interface, but I can not get driver downloads for windows 7.

From what I read you using a lynix operating system, they seem to not have as many clocking issues with usb 2.0. Do the Behringer usb sound cards run off of usb 2.0 just wondering I was looking at them as the ufo 202 goes for about 30.00 and that will be the next thing I might try for the price.

PSG I have read a few of your post and those are the ones that all ways seem to get me going on other projects.

I was talking about using a optical cable, my Behringer fca 202 was a firewire interface, but I can not get driver downloads for windows 7.

Right. I just meant that I'm always reading that firewire is the way to go rather than USB (might be worth changing the OS! Cheaper than lots of gear...). I haven't seen anything about USB 2.0 being better than older USB for clocking, but it's possible.

From what I read you using a lynix operating system, they seem to not have as many clocking issues with usb 2.0. Do the Behringer usb sound cards run off of usb 2.0 just wondering I was looking at them as the ufo 202 goes for about 30.00 and that will be the next thing I might try for the price.

You know what? I'm not even sure what USB level it uses. It's a UCA202. I bought it to run REW off a laptop to EQ my sub, and now it has found a home feeding music to a sound system.

PSG I have read a few of your post and those are the ones that all ways seem to get me going on other projects.

Wow, that's very nice of you to say! Thanks! (unless you mean that you get going on different projects after reading my posts [:o])

PCs make a lot of electronic noise that is primarily contained inside the metal box.

If you are running metal wires out of the box, there is always a chance they will pick up the stray electrons and give you noise.

Optical connections isolate the units from each other, no metal wires.

I keep hearing about phase jitter problems on toslink, this is a new issue to me. Is there an inherent problem in locking the clocks on toslink?

Most of the voice and data networks in N. America are optics based and work just fine.

I use toslink, sounds fine to me, maybe I'm missing something.

I also use USB to feed an external sound card for my promedia's, works fine.

Good luck

I think for 38.00 I can order a usb sound card and a toslink cable so not much to try both and not be out much. If this doesn't suit my needs, than I will pursue other possibilities.

After I get the comp. moved down stairs the next thing will be what media software to use for play back, Windows media player 12 claims to have a lossless format. I just need to figure how to move all my music to my external hard drive and still run it off of the windows media player.

Thanks for all your help.

, Windows media player 12 claims to have a lossless format.

I think I am wrong about this. When I first got my new comp a while back and started with WMP 12 I thought I read it supported a flac. But sounds like you have jump through hoops to get this to work.

I don't know if any what I am talking about makes any since, any input would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks

Nick

I'm not sure what Flac is, you can tell me.

Windows Media allows you to rip lossless files, check out the option when you go to rip

At some point I will have to study the protocols, but is the CPU converting the various storage formats to some standard format that all sound cards understand?

If the CPU is converting the protocols to some standard then you need the SW for WinMP to do the conversion Flac to ?

Good luck, you app doesn't sound like its unique.

The issue with toslink in audio applications is how it is usually driven. Often the same signal is split to a toslink and S/PDIF which can cause reflections if not properly impedance matched. Also, the digital backbone of the internet isn't using the data edges for setting the clock rates and there is no D/A conversion happening from deriving a clock signal from the data. That said, I don't think the issue is big enough to warrant dramatic increase in cost to "fix" it. Just keep your cable runs short and don't use the cheapest cable you can find.

Thanks, let me knock the cob web out of my head.

SONET This was never my protocol, from your post I seem to recall that timing is derived from syncing with timing bits that are embedded in the protocol. So it counts X-bits then re-aligns the timing with bit number X. Then you have all of the framing issues so you can keep the various signals separated out to whatever granularity you are looking for. The last time I looked (12) years ago the SONET chip sets were being brought out to front end DWDM short and long haul multiplexers, thus having it both ways with error checking and the elimination of all of those repeaters.

The next time I swing by the library I'll pick up a copy of Toss-link timing and protocols for dummies (me).

What ever happened to over-speeding the links and using buffers to smooth out the data flow to the DSPs while allowing for error correction ala HDLC, the good old days.

I'm starting to think my property management gig is rotting my brain.