Is McIntosh 275 tube amp the best for a LaScala type speaker.....in your experience.

crd97086

"Bloody and woozy" eh? Yer on! (As long as we're not racing for pinks...)

To get back to the subject - You almost never see them, but I'm partial to a Hadley 601 amp. The VRD's are excellent as well. Also, the early Audio Research stuff - D-75, D-75a, D-76, D-76a and D-79 can sound incredible with Klipsch speakers. Note - the ARCs can have some nasty reliability issues of the high-rise flame variety and they can be hard to hook up.

Dale has spent a couple years and dropped some coin on this hobby, so he can come here to pontificate we are losers who don't know much about anything.

I do know that VRDs are about the only custom built PP tube amps that were voiced with La Scalas being the specific set of reference speakers used. They do sound a cut above the McIntosh MC 75 monoblocs I have with which I have compared, FWIW. I happen to enjoy all the flavors we run, but there definitely some significant strata in the collection.

DSCN2218.jpg

Going on ten years back in the hobby, and learning every day.

Dave, amazing[:D] My Las would absolutely love to mate with that Walnut pair of "D"s in the center rack[:o]

Kaiser, you DO have a talent for picking out the best cut of steak in the display case! That pair will hopefully be passed down to our eight year old son as a daddy family heirloom. In a stable of thorobreds, the VRDs, Marantz 8B, Erik M. custom SET amps, and the Nakamichi P7 Stasis amp are the creme de la creme.

I could happily live with any of them, though. A good reliable amp does not get in the way of enjoying music, whether it is a lowly NAD 3020 integrated, or a Mc MC275. [;)]

I agree with tube fanatic that your best path at this point would be a set of mono blocks and a sub for the lower frequencies. I don't have any experience with this particular amp but the Cary CAD805's are said to be a decent set of amps. With LaScalas you have to be tempted to run a class A SET amp. Here's a linky: http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CAD805AE.html

After that one of the top pre-amps from Audio Research, Conrad Johnson or Cary might get you near the top.

"So, Sir, with all due respect, ..........................I would love to believe your words.....but................you still are still;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;standing believing that...........Greg Robers////////// Votit Audio/.........is a a PRETENDER..................I know HIGHEND AUDIO;...................////;............Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have KNOWN for 7777777777777777777 MONTHS that you are a preteneder ./...............guess who told me that you call into KLIPSCH all the time....................fine................your have your opionions on's on crossovers.... Spearfrtiz..........all that I ask from this world is that people present themselves propersly...............Just like last December, when Sheltie Dave, Davis, and the rest started on me............ Shush Guys.......I thanked at that time Several members............among them Sootshe,, Fastrac Dave....(who doesn't know Dave's contribrtuions to the Forum?)............And most of all DBK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Let it be said..................and do your F****** research............that these guys did the best in my minds eye for the promotion of what the BAsics that PWK laid down. With that said.............as always, I have only been here for 15 months............did I learn a TON .............HEll Yes..............So, do your own.......without that, you are just a bunch of POSERS like SpeakerFRistz. Would I have taken all that back , but the nayers...............the NEGATIVE POSTERS..........yeah you SpeakerFritz.....Yes, You Mark 1101 and and that other guy.......you would have never said this to ME...........Greg Roberts(Volti Auidio)..............or anyone................................................... Yeah............Amy take this down...................but Please...............take this..............old army SOD...............Speakerfritltz ..............Corpmaschal HIM(sp?_.........He, oh ....SF is ..........so not a nice guy............Look at how he beat GR928GTS......over timel.................why do you think this punk is a real contributor????????????? I would have been happy with anyone else to this discussion.............but .........people...............so, not SpeakerFritz...........SF...you are so much not willing to speak on my theads...........goodnight.............Dale. "
This is funny.stuff............I hope you get the REAL help you need Dale.

Your son will be a lucky man Dave[:D] You have a plethora of fine gear in that pic, heck if a guy had 5 grand and was patient he could probably get himself a pair of those Walnut (or any other nice wood) beauties, a pair of matching K-Horns and that fruity looking pre amp and have the system of his life[:P] Add the front end of choice from there[Y] Like the amp thing I feel a well synergized system gets out of the way of the music and lets the listener travel to another place and time[;)]

Cheers