Amp for RF-7 IIs

blargman

I've been having some issues with my RF7's bothering me with a low hiss noise from the tweeter/horn. I've been told this is likely from the amp. It does this on both the Denon 2112 and Onkyo 809 I have. I'm curious what amp you all would suggest for these high sensitivity speakers? I thought I'd ask here since I've found many people in this subforum own RF7's.

Are you just looking for a two channel amp? You could pick up an Emotiva XPA-2, it's on sale for $699 right now and is 300 watts @ 8 ohm x2. It would really make your RF7's sing, unless there is something wrong with your speakers......

I am using Onkyo 5008 to drive my RF-63 and RC-64. The sound is amazing no matter in music or movies.

The hiss noice might from player or due to unclear power, not proper grounding,etc. You can try to remove the RCA/HDMI cables from your receiver.

This can help you to find the affecting factor.

Are you just looking for a two channel amp? You could pick up an Emotiva XPA-2, it's on sale for $699 right now and is 300 watts @ 8 ohm x2. It would really make your RF7's sing, unless there is something wrong with your speakers......

I actually believe I've read (though I could be wrong) that the Emotiva amps do not possess a low ground floor noise level. If that is the case then they won't help. It's actually quite common to get a small degree of hiss from uber-efficient speakers like the RF-7s and the only cure I know of is to get an ultra high end amp. [:(]

Thanks for the book. It looks interesting. I did try a couple outlets in the house. (Yes dragging this 90lb behemoth), with just the receiver plugged in.

The buzzing noise does increase as I increase the volume on the receiver. It doesn't ever go away though. If i put it to the minimum I can still hear the noise from the horn. I thought it might be an EMI issue as well with all the components behind my tv etc, so I went ahead and disconnected everything. The only thing connected and powered was my receiver and speakers. The noise remained unfortunately. I even took the receiver and speaker to another outlet in the house in the Kitchen. The noise seemed to still be there.

The thing is, with no source, the buzzing is there, but low, I can only hear it if I put my ear to tweeter. But if I'm playing a silent movie or something very quiet, I can hear what I can best describe as a hot mic. Like you see in the movies and others may know professionally. Just what sounds like a lot of background noise.

I did try disabling Audyssey and I A/B'd it a bit while playing and it does actually seem like it helped a bit.

Is there something wrong with these speakers? Should I be looking at different amps if this is a noise floor problem?

I'd be interested in getting an amp to fix it, but I'm curious if others with RF-7's here have had this issue. I know there are several people here in this subforum with them. :\

No noise from the horn at all with just receiver on? I do have to put my ear to them to hear this. I know these speakers were openbox but I really can't believe they'd send me 2 defective speakers. I don't imagine I've damaged them either in the short time I've had them. Argh.

No noise from the horn at all with just receiver on? I do have to put my ear to them to hear this. I know these speakers were openbox but I really can't believe they'd send me 2 defective speakers. I don't imagine I've damaged them either in the short time I've had them. Argh.

Well.. I can't say that, I suppose. I've only listened to the from my listening position and in that position have never heard a hum/hiss.

I have the xpa-5 with the denon avr-4311ci.

I do hear a hiss, but need to be close to the speaker to hear it.

Its not audible when played loudly.

On the xpa-5 you can select balanced vs unbalanced. The hiss stops when switched to balanced. But I am not sure if thats because XLR is not connected.

I supposed it would make sense if the cable isn't connected. You are effectively killing power to the unbalanced side I would imagine.

How much are we talking for a low noise floor amp? Anyone have any suggestions? I'd be willing to at least try it and resell it if it doesn't help.