Testing the B&C DE-85TN

Guest David H

Guest David H

ALK just got done testing the B&C DE-85TN driver, the results are excellent.

This is a true 2" driver to be used for 2way or 3way applications in KHorn, Lascala Belle, Cornscala, etc.

post-24405-13819683816134_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm...

How would the DE-85TN look on the back side of that thing in the middle?

I think that would look great.

Your project is coming along nicely.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It is fun and at times a little frustrating as well due to available time, it is going a little slower than I thought it would.

After tonights work, I am pretty sure I do see a spot for one of those DE-85TN thingies...

post-27869-1381968390701_thumb.jpg

I really like your combination box brace/driver support.

That is nice, is it part of Bob's kit?

Craig

Thanks, from what I have read you cannot put enough bracing into these things.

This is basically Bob's Style "C" plan but I had to modify it slightly due to my use of 1 inch
Baltic Birch instead of 3/4".
I wanted to stiffen the middle of the cabinet but not seal the top from the bottom so this is the
design I came up with for the brace.
The front baffle has the 1", plus another layer of 3/4" as the backing board.
Volume wise, I still have a little room to brace the bottom and top panels.

Guest David H

Dave, You mentioned the words "prototype Eliptrac". Please don't tell me you are coming out with an improved version of your Eliptrac horn. There is only so much horn lust that I can tolerate....

Dave the "Candy Man" Harris Geeked

No, ALK has the original Eliptrac.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a look at a both cabinets...

Yikes, you're gonna need quite a bit of absorption behind that driver to keep the HF content from coming off the back of the woofer and out through the ports. One of those cheap polyfill pillows would probably be sufficient, wrapped around the back of the driver in that space between the ports.

Here is a look at a both cabinets...

Yikes, you're gonna need quite a bit of absorption behind that driver to keep the HF content from coming off the back of the woofer and out through the ports. One of those cheap polyfill pillows would probably be sufficient, wrapped around the back of the driver in that space between the ports.

Dr,
What is your prognosis, will the patient live or should we just pull the plug?

That "Yikes" scares me a little since this is my 1st attempt at a speaker build.
Cabinet dampening has been a big question in my mind, I know in some designs
the fill / dampening can be a great tool in tuning a cabinet.
Unfortunately, I do not have much experience or tools to properly analyze and make the adjustments.

I posed the dampening question to GotHover and Dave suggested I use some of the poly thick quilt badding
(maybe a double layer) to the sides and backs.

I am hoping for a pair of the DE-85TNs and the new AKL networks to be showing up late next week, so it will
soon be time to see what these boxes are going to do.

Haha, the patient is definitely gonna live - just so long as you stuff its face with pillows [;)]

The yikes was more a fond memory of a very similar build I did with Heresy parts several years ago. I couldn't figure out why porting the cabinet made the midrange sound so weird - it turns out that it was high frequencies from the woofer coming out through the port. Getting some absorption in there will easily take care of it, so nothing major to worry about. The absorption will help with standing waves inside the box too, but as far as tuning and what not it's not going to have a drastic effect.

I'm sure these guys will rock your world with no treatment in the box, but it'll be a lot more refined with it. Wouldn't hurt to do an AB so you can see what I'm talking about.

Btw, the B&C drivers are legit. Just outta curiousity, is there a reason for looking at the 85 instead of the 75?