Blown Sub Mystery.

jcs899

Yesterday I purchased a barely used Synergy Sub-10. I went home and hooked it up, and the woofer appears to be blown. It powers on, has a quiet buzz with no signal, and when given a signal it's reproduced with EXTREME distortion. Volume increases with gain, which leads me to believe the amp is good. I called the sellers (seemingly very honest couple) and these are the facts they gave me:

-Purchased 2 years ago.

-Used for a couple of weeks and worked fine.

-They decided they didnt want a theater.

-It was disconnected and stored in a warm, dry climate up until now.

Its a tough situation because I can tell they're being honest.

So....If what they say is true, how could it end up blown? Any idea's?

Yesterday I purchased a barely used Synergy Sub-10. I went home and hooked it up, and the woofer appears to be blown. It powers on, has a quiet buzz with no signal, and when given a signal it's reproduced with EXTREME distortion. Volume increases with gain, which leads me to believe the amp is good. I called the sellers (seemingly very honest couple) and these are the facts they gave me:

-Purchased 2 years ago.

-Used for a couple of weeks and worked fine.

-They decided they didnt want a theater.

-It was disconnected and stored in a warm, dry climate up until now.

Its a tough situation because I can tell they're being honest.

So....If what they say is true, how could it end up blown? Any idea's?

Most probable scenario. People you bought it from are telling the truth. Amp is shot.

If you search the forum there are countless reports of bad amps in Sub 10's and 12's. It's all most embarrising if you're a Klipsch fan (which I am). There's not a week that goes by (it feels like) that there's not a new forum member posting about an issue with a Sub 10 or 12 amp problem.

I did see loads of posts regarding the Bash amps in those subs, but none of them got any sound from their woofer. If the amp was shot wouldn't there be zero output from the speaker? Not trying to argue here, just wondering. I did return it and get my money back. I told them I'd pursue the issue with it next week, and assuming it was the woofer itself, get it reconed/replaced and purchase the sub for the difference. If its the amp...well I hear that runs around 165 and why bother replacing it if its a faulty design. I'll be bringing the whole unit into Midwest Speaker repair here in the Twin Cities.

Reminds me of the "very honest" woman that had a pair of infinity sm12's at a garage sale. I asked her if they were working and she said, yes, they worked great. When I popped the grills off them, both woofers had completely blown away foam surrounds.

Sounds like you're being fed a line of BS. If they are truly honest, they'll give you your money back. Good illustration, though, of why you NEVER buy a piece of electronics without testing it first. If they make excuses about why you can't check it out, they're trying to rip you off and you need to walk away.

I did see loads of posts regarding the Bash amps in those subs, but none of them got any sound from their woofer. If the amp was shot wouldn't there be zero output from the speaker? Not trying to argue here, just wondering. I did return it and get my money back. I told them I'd pursue the issue with it next week, and assuming it was the woofer itself, get it reconed/replaced and purchase the sub for the difference. If its the amp...well I hear that runs around 165 and why bother replacing it if its a faulty design. I'll be bringing the whole unit into Midwest Speaker repair here in the Twin Cities.

The driver is probably reproducing the distorted signal it's being sent. If there's no rubbing voice coil and the surround is good, the amp is most likely shot. Normally when the driver goes, it just goes open and doesn't make a sound. I guess anything is possible, but you'd have the first bad driver I've read about.