REW Help.

RockOn4Klipsch

So i've recently started to play with REW and was hoping some of the members could put forth some of the information they have gathered while playing with the program. I've been reading the help and how to files in the program but some of it still doesn't make sense. So far I've downloaded the calibration file for my Radio Shack meter. I had the neccessary cables to hook everything up and briefly ran a "Measure Now" Log sweep from 0Hz -20kHz. My room seems to measure better than I thought but I have a sharp drop between 5kHz to 6kHz then it gently rises back to 20kHz but is still significantly lower than from 0Hz - 5kHz. is this because of the C-weighting ? Should I not attempt to run a "Full Range" sweep test with the current mic?

I'm unsure how to pull the image file of the test to post it as of yet, I know I can "Print screen" but i'd rather just pull the graph so you guys can let me know what you think.

I'm also unsure of whether I actually calibrated the mic and program properly, what I did was set a level on my pre/pro, and adjusted the REW display to match the meter and hit finished. It then gives me some other mumbo jumbo that I can't quite make sense of what it means. Thanks guys.

Hmmm, something's definately not right. Surely your speakers don't roll off that much. Is the RS meter pointed straight up toward the ceiling? Mounted on a stand/tripod? Check the settings in REW. Did you do the calibration for the soundcard in your PC? Is the sound running through an AVR? Did you turn off all enhancements in the AVR, like "Dolby EQ" that rolls off the highs?

I noticed the "capture" button right at the top

I've seen that kind of problem with the sound card installed in the laptop/computer. Also, I've seen issues with mixers that did unusual things to the output sweeps.

Chris

it was by no means a through test. I did the calibration with the RS meter and loaded up the calibration file. I did not calibrate the sound card in my laptop, so that could be why the drop is there at 5k. just thought i would play around with it and see what could be done. My equipment has NO ability to alter and sound, just direct, so no internal EQing or anything,

If I read it right you are using a Rat Shack SPL meter for a mic? If so, you will get wierd readings at high frequencies. The size of the mic element is too large for accurate high frequency measurement because of diffraction issues. That's the reason measurement mics are smaller than 3/8 inch at the capsule end.

If I read it right you are using a Rat Shack SPL meter for a mic? If so, you will get wierd readings at high frequencies. The size of the mic element is too large for accurate high frequency measurement because of diffraction issues. That's the reason measurement mics are smaller than 3/8 inch at the capsule end.

I have a dayton emm-6, is that sufficient for room measurements and speaker measurements? Not that I yet have a clue how to use it and the software but I'm hopeful. [:D]

I have a dayton emm-6, is that sufficient for room measurements and speaker measurements? Not that I yet have a clue how to use it and the software but I'm hopeful. Big Smile

I would trust the emm-6 with online cal values to within +/-0.1dB from 100Hz to 5kHz. In the range of 20Hz to 20kHz, you should be within 2dB at the extremes depending on the specifics of the situation.