Need help setting up my first amp.

reynolr

Hello all, I Jus opened up a UPA-2 and an trying to hook it up to my Onkyo HT-RC180. here is what I did... I took the front L and R wires out of the reciever and hooked them up to the amp. I then connected a rca cable from the CH 1 and the CH 2 jacks on the back of the amp and connected then to the 2 pre out jacks on the back of my amp. I also plugged in the 12 volt trigger from my receiver and connected it to the input trigger on the amp. When I turn on the receiever the amp doesn't turn on with it. Then when I press the button on the amp and turn it out I still get no sound out if the front L and R speakers. Can anyone tell me what u am doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks to anyone that can assist. And merry Christmas to all.

This is how it should be connected:

RCA cables from L & R pre-out on your receiver to the inputs on the UPA-2. Speaker wire from the UPA-2 to your speakers. I'm not sure what you meant by front L and R wires out of the receiver and hooked them up to the amp?? You absolutely don't want speaker wire connecting the receiver to the amp!!

The speaker wire from the speakers to the receiver. I pulled them out the receiver, and plugged them into the amp. So I am good there. Should I only be using a single rca cable? Or do I need two? And if I connect the wire to the input on the amp and the 12 volt trigger on the receiver, is that correct?

Ok. I got sound from my speakers finally. Thank you wuzzzer. Any help on the trigger thing so the amp and receiver will turn on and off together? I have one end of the cable connected to the 12 volt trigger on the back of my receiver and the other to the input on the amp. When I hit power it sounds like the amp powers on the shuts back off immediately. If I touch the power button everything works? Not sure what's wrong here.

I may be missing something but this AVR does not seem to have a "zone 1" trigger. I only see zone 2 and 3. If this is the case then you need to plug the trigger in 2 or 3 and then activate that zone via remote as stated above. I hope you have a 'universal' remote so you can program an "activity" or "macro" so you just need to push one button to get what you need.

Found out that the only devices that it works on is other onkyo ones. So I tried to use my cable box and then tv, which both have IR ports. However neither of them successfully turned the amp on and off. Is there anything special u have to do? Or just plug in the cord?