Instead of Promedia's...maybe use???

Coytee

I have a pair of Promedia's 2.1. When I moved things south, I left them behind.

When I went back to the house in TN prior to Christmas, on arrival, one of the first things I did was pull them out of a closet that the wife stuffed them into and put them in my car so I'd not forget them.

Wife decided that she wanted an Ipad for Christmas "and I can use those speakers in the other room" (that were now in my car)

Sooooooooooooooo, out they came and I set everything up for her. Now, I'm back to nothing on my PC.

I might buy another pair.... then it dawned on me, I've got a spare preamp, spare poweramp(s).... I don't necessarily need a Promedia (?)

If I went with something else that could be hooked to a system, what might work on top of my desk?

KG's?

Heresy's? (hahahaahahah)

Heresy's are kind of large but hey..... I guess I'd be open on the idea.

I would however, want to keep the Promedia's performance and intended use as the reference. Meaning, just because the Heresy's (or other) might 'work' doesn't mean they'll perform as well in such a close up situation. The wireless Promedia's intrigue me. I do however, like the idea of using some of that idle equipment.

Thoughts?

Why not hook the computer to your HT system, and get something like this "IOGEAR GKM571R Black USB RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Trackball, Scroll Wheel and Backlight LED" to control it:

IOGEAR GKM571R Black USB RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Trackball, Scroll Wheel and Backlight LED

Your computer will need an HDMI out for the avr or processor. If your computer does not have that capability, then you can use the DVI to the TV, and SPDIF or minijack to RCA stereo inputs. The HDMI would be superior as you know.

I used to have a pair of JBL 4311s on my desk. [:|] It was a big desk, though. My only real complaint about the JBLs is that they weren't/aren't mirrored front baffles, but they still sounded great. I currently have a smaller set of JBL Control 25s connected to an Onkyo reciever that a workmate gave me. They are only 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches, but still sound really good for the desktop. They actually sit on a shelf at the back of the desk, and are flipped upside down so the tweeters are just about ear level.

You can see what these look like on this eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=JBL+Control+25&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Bruce

Why not hook the computer to your HT system

I could (and have) done just that.

The thing is... my screen is such that my speakers are behind me. If listening to music, not a problem. If watching a Youtube.... still not a problem, just weird.