Sound clarity: amplification vs equalization

derrickdj1

I have read a lot on this forum about the use of power amps to add detail to the sound of music. Where does equalization come in compared to the use of power amps. I know it take a lot of hours of listening to music and a good equalizer to know what frequencies to adjust. It would seem that amps can only take you so far. I wondered what other forum member do to further customize their system's to their listening preferencies. I am not concerened with loudness, just clarity. I have seen the vast amount of knowledge on this forum, so I feel that many other members may have more experience with this issue on sound clarity. Thank for your comment and opinions.

Derrick,

These are my opinions and I have no scientific evidence to back up any of my statements. Take them for what they're worth...a grain of salt.

A more powerful amplifier will provide perceived increased clarity due to the increased headroom. No amp should change the original signal, however, I have found that most amps have a "signature" they impart. This could all be in my head.

EQs have their place, especially in the bass region. I prefer to listen to music as it was recorded, which is to say have my speakers' response in my room flat. There is nothing saying that your speakers should be flat through the entire signal range though.

Are recordings made with a flat EQ. No. Engineers and producers tweak it to their tastes. So you can tweak it to yours.

EQ used sparingly (for me that means in the bass region) is needed in most rooms with most speakers with most recordings.

Not sure if I answered your question, but those are some thoughts. I use Audyssey in a digital AVR, so I'm using tons of EQ. When I switch it off, the sound becomes lifeless and dull. So I turn Audyssey back on. Hey, it's my room and my house. (For what it's worth, I've got 4 various higher end graphic EQs here that have been in a closet for about 6 years. They all have mics and pink noise generators and spectrum analyzers).

Where does equalization come in compared to the use of power amps.

They are complementary devices. EQ's condition the signal on the line level or bitstream side of the system, ie. before the power amp.

It would seem that amps can only take you so far.

This is true. Some spend lots of money here trying to fix something that happens to be completely unrelated.

I know it take a lot of hours of listening to music and a good equalizer to know what frequencies to adjust.

Somewhat. Find a set of headphones that make the music you listen to sound good. Listen to a song that you are very familiar with. Doff the headphones and immediatly listen to the same song on your main system. Try and pic out instruments, effects, or vocals....see what's missing or standing out. It's not a trivial process, and does take a couple hours of your time, but the important thing is take some time and actually do it.

an amp in theory should be straight line with gain. The use of equalization generaly means you are covering up for audio issues using "general wizdom". I am not a wize man, but a happy one. I say use what is right for you. The room, speakers and source are to me the most important items in a properly functioning sound system. If an equalizer works for you, then so be it, Spend some time without it to ensure it is only "subtracting" sound you don't want and not adding things that were not expected. Cheers!

Jacksonbart is on the right track. I keep my systems as clean as possible and the signal path as short as possible. I have used some really good equalizers but if your system is really up to snuff, the simple addition of more stuff in the signal path does not improve anything. I think, for me, an equalizer would be a last resort, proposition.

The general rule for an equalizer should be to do some very minor corrections, after the room has been assembled, and hopefully "treated" to reduce unwanted reflections, good diffusion, etc. Two things are extremely important, however.... The EQ needs to be of good quality, and low distortion, etc. Second is the the frequency bands that the EQ can address. "Graphic" EQ's are ok, but parametrics (PEQ's) are much better. Under those circumstances, I use a SAE 2800. Complex, and takes time to set it up and do the corrections properly, but with a test tone generator CD or program on a computer with a good sound card, it takes about an hour. SPL meter also helps, as you can move it around to find unwanted "nodes".

Once the corrections are made, one can always look at further "treatment" of the room, such as re-arranging furniture, adding bookshelves (with books..), etc. until you reach a point where the PEQ settings are dead center, with no gain or attenuation required, etc. Then remove the PEQ from the circuit (good ones allow a passive bypass wherein the EQ circuit is not in the "loop").

Many schools of thought on this subject though. As JB said, you will have to spend some time with an EQ unit to make sure that what you are doing is what you want.

Thanks for all the comment and opioions. After reading the various post, I actually have more questions. I see the point in using EQ sparingly and in the bass range. Headphone should help to train my ear better and the wife will not have to hear to my new found hobby, listening to music a lot more. When I first setup my Klipsch system it was for 90% tv/movies and 10% music. Now I would say it is 60/40. It is strage how this hobby can change a person, ha ha. I will give an update on this post in the near future. Everyone, have a Great New Years and 2012! One more thing, I get to justify buying a set of nice headphones!